Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you trim dead leafs and pitchers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago, I worked for a plant/wildlife conservation group. Among other native plantings, we had a bog garden. It was lined with concrete, so I got to burn it with a flamethrower. Very cool and effective way to get rid of dead foliage.

But as far as routine maintenance of dead stuff, I trim as needed when I have time and it's not too hot/cold. Typically once a year, March, before I risk accidentally chopping flower buds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll trim back dead VFT traps and capensis leaves to the green part. I tend to leave my Sarracenia pitchers as they are until dormancy and repotting. I'm also of the mindset that there is nothing trimming the old pitchers in nature, so I see it as superfluous. Sometimes I trim, sometimes I don't.
    Last edited by BaseDrifter; 12-22-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I trim my Sarr pitchers in the winter as well, as soon as they stop producing pitchers. I find that, in addition to mold problems, mealy bugs tend to make their homes at the base of dead pitchers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the sarracenia tip, in that case I will go and trim off the dead pitchers. I think i've def heard that tip before.
    Last edited by ps3isawesome; 12-22-2014 at 10:13 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes - I trim pitchers when they are COMPLETELY black/brown and have sat for a while. Or when any fungi makes an appearance.
    Venus Fly traps - I trim off everything a few hours before going into the fridge for the winter, generally around the end of October.
    Sarracenia - Just like the VFTs, everything is trimmed a few hours before refrigeration.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    so I got to burn it with a flamethrower. Very cool and effective way to get rid of dead foliage.
    Okay, well we all know who the winner of this thread is. XD
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12