What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone identify this grass jelly for me?

I saw something glistening on the top of my Heli's soil. It's a clearish jelly.

This plant is kept in a terrarium, is this as a result of bad air circulation?

thanks

IMG_2889_zps3c2b9df0.jpg

I don't know exactly what it is but it appears to be a slime mold of some sort. Very common on rehydrated lfs.

a day ago, I just flushed all this pots with water, maybe that could be it.

That green slime covers all of my moss after some time, doesnt seem to hurt it though.
Perhaps algae?

32060.jpg

Not a number, i'm glad we thought of the same pun :p even though I HATE grass jelly, it tastes disgusting. Except if it's all hoot and liquidy mixed with red beans and other stuff.

Last edited:
I have always wondered what that grass jelly tastes like

It's a little nondescript, like a cross between fresh sphagnum moss and tea. I like it in drinks during the summer, but not by itself.

I had a very similar glob of perfectly clear jelly like stuff on the very end of a piece of moss. Just cut it off and I havent seen it since.

Never heard of "grass jelly" before. What are the ingredients? Is it normally consumed as cubes as is shown on the can?

Grass jelly is made from Mesona chinensis, a type of plant. It's believed to have some effect on lowering the "fire" in your body.

Grass jelly is consumed differently depending on which country you're in. It can be enjoyed by itself, as a base eaten other with yummy things, or added as a side with other desserts. Depending on the season you'll find it in cold and hot form.

This is the most common form of grass jelly, in cubes and eaten with sugar water. I personally hate eating it alone
ScreenShot2014-12-24at110156AM_zpsd499c6ab.png

I'd rather have it with shaved ice and other type of desserts during summer.
ScreenShot2014-12-24at110159AM_zpsf522363f.png

Or in the winter, same concept except the grass jelly is heated. It then melts together and can also be paired with other ingredients shown in the shaved ice picture.
ScreenShot2014-12-24at110119AM_zpse92c7a7c.png

Last edited:
Halo halo mix on the shave ice?

nah, this type of shaved ice is from Taiwan, so different ingredient but same concept. There's also shaved snow ice as well.

main-qimg-6c4d2d70d327028726812436331585b0

Last edited:
Looks delicious and interesting. My Dad was the only one in my family that ate grass jelly. Sometimes he'd put a little maple syrup on it, but mostly he ate it pretty straight out of the can. I suppose I should try it, never did. The name doesn't help. Chinese Gooseberry wouldn't sell in the US until it was called "Kiwifruit".

Looks delicious and interesting. My Dad was the only one in my family that ate grass jelly. Sometimes he'd put a little maple syrup on it, but mostly he ate it pretty straight out of the can. I suppose I should try it, never did. The name doesn't help. Chinese Gooseberry wouldn't sell in the US until it was called "Kiwifruit".

Funny you should say that, I remember a prune company that relabeled their prunes as "dried plums" and sales increased by 70%.

Is this similar to jellies made from Tiliacora triandra and Cyclea barbata? I don't know the Vietnamese or Thai names. I have Tiliacora triandra and a little seedling of what is presumably Cyclea barbata.

Back