Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chat box spam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chat box spam

im always trying to talk about carnivorous plants in the chat box, but mostly everyone talks about everything othher than carnivorous plants... also cant we just pm private conversation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GROWTOPIA View Post
    im always trying to talk about carnivorous plants in the chat box, but mostly everyone talks about everything othher than carnivorous plants... also cant we just pm private conversation
    I chat privately all the time
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To have private chats you must be a green member.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I chat privately all the time
    So do I. In fact, MOST of the conversations I have with TF people is in private. Its worth paying the measly membership fee just for that feature.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The conversations in the chatbox should be on subjects that are "on-topic" or general enough that just about anybody can join in. It should also be of a nature appropriate to all age groups. An example of "off-topic" conversations would be discussion or strategizing over some on-line game that others have no interest whatsoever in.

When entering a room or group where there is an on going conversation or discussion it is usually best just to go with the flow and first see what the conversation is about. If it is something that interests you then by all means join in. If it doesn't interest you either sit back and watch (you just might learn something) the conversation may steer towards your interests. Or return at some later time. To barge in and try to dominate the conversation is just rude. If you have some questions you can always politely say "Hi, I have a few questions on (topic e.g. dormancy) can anybody help?". If you get no responses come back later or search the posts or post you questions on the forums. Most of the Terraforums members are glad to help but as in real life some are more tolerant of noobs than others

Welcome to Terraforums by the way. Perhaps you should introduce yourself in the member introduction section.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 12-31-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That said, small blurps into things that others are not interested in but comes up are fine. The chatbox isn't some highly regulated thing, but at the same time, we don't want it to be dominated by a group of people. Last time this came up I started getting reported chats every time someone said one thing that appeared outside of the guidlines.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, this is a public forum... We're all friendly on here, there shouldn't be anything wrong with talking about stuff other than CPs... Like NaN said, if you want to bring a new topic up, people will most likely respond. There's certainly no reason to call people out for simply making conversation (assuming it's appropriate). That's part of what makes this community great, that we can talk about and relate to other growers on more than just CPs. Calling this type of chat "spam" is just plain rude IMO
    Last edited by Iwest; 12-31-2014 at 08:35 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwest View Post
    I mean, this is a public forum... We're all friendly on here, there shouldn't be anything wrong with talking about stuff other than CPs... Like NaN said, if you want to bring a new topic up, people will most likely respond. There's certainly no reason to call people out for simply making conversation (assuming it's appropriate). That's part of what makes this community great, that we can talk about and relate to other growers on more than just CPs. Calling this type of chat "spam" is just plain rude IMO
    IF you havent noticed, a portion of this forum isnt very friendly or civil towards newcomers/ people that have different ideas other than their own.
    Just like one of the past threads that raged on for days, members detailed what they think of the declining forum population and their trust towards others.
    Some here are very rude, others are very civil, but the important thing is that the ones of us who ARE still here for the long run must be willing to be
    helpful and friendly. Just my 2 cents.

I find it sad we have to be having this exact conversation under these circumstances.
    Were all part of the largest CP forum, and it looks like were all part of broken factions.
    Last edited by NemJones; 12-31-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast