0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely gorgeous flower
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks you guys, that's 'about' all the pics I have for now, but there will be many more this spring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them.

It just stirs up heaps of nostalgia, reminding me of the 4-5 years that my parents and youngest brother were living in Fort Walton Beach and Valparaiso, and my seasonal visits with them there. My father worked as a government inspector at the nearby Eglin AFB.

Back then, the late 1980's, there were many CP throughout the area. It was a CP wonderland. Your photos remind me of what I would see, while hiking around the area, even Drosera and Pinguicula in my parents backyard.

My father once took me to visit one of his co-workers, a secretary. So I could see what was growing all around her apartment. He had told her about my interest in CP. She lived in an apartment complex. In the vacant lots all around her apartment complex, were CP. Various Pinguicula, Drosera, and Sarracenia species - it was beautiful. I only wish I had a camera with me at the time. The apartment complex was just a few blocks from highway 98 and the beach.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up next is my first big Sarracenia site from this year, it's a massive bog located in Walton county Florida and it has huge amounts of Sarracenia flava and Sarracenia psittacina, as well as Drosera capillaris and some Utricularia cornuta and Pinguicula planifolia. I'm going to sort the pictures in this post a little since there is a lot of pictures, I'll do the stuff that there is relatively few pictures of first and then post the S. flava pictures last so you don't have to sort through all of the S. flava pics to find on picture of P. planifolia!. So, here we go:

I'll start with some habitat shots just to show y'all the size and scale of the bog and the number of plants:

First up is Sarracenia psittacina these grow in large clumps throughout the bog, and there used to be many more of them but I believe they experienced some die offs after the last to winters:

You have to look closely but there are tons of forming fruits:

Next up are some Drosera capillaris "long arm", from what I've seen at this site the long arm genes are only active when the bog is flooded, when it dry's during parts of the summer the plants reduce the length of the petioles and look more regular:

Next up is some Utricularia cornuta:

Followed by Utricularia purpurea, this one was really difficult to get a good picture of:

Pinguicula planifolia, there used to be many more of these plants at this bog but this time there are only a few, I think a lot of them died last winter, but I also could of just not seen them, and this is the first time I have seen any of the plants at this bog turn red, usually they are either a bright or olive green color:

I'll post the Sarracenia flava in the next post
    Last edited by sflynn; 05-24-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now come the Sarracenia flava, there is some amazing variation in S. flava at this bog so I'll try to group them by similarities, I'l start with the plants that had the most red and then finish with the plants that had almost no red coloration:

This one had a very ruffly lid:

Hope everyone enjoyed the photos! Sorry If I posted to many but I had over 300 originally so it was really hard to narrow them all down to just a few.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super location with some gorgeous plants. I can't believe how close to the road this spot is. Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Yes the spot is right next to a major highway, and there is a supermarket directly beside the bog too

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures! The flava look spectacular, and I can't believe how many plants there are.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast