What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild Sarracenia, Dews and other CP's in the Southeast

Hello all, I have decided to post some pics of some wild CP's after being urged by some other member, hope you enjoy
Also, most of these pics are taken with my cellphone, and it hates having it's pictures turned over to the internet, so a few of them aren't the highest quality, sorry about that.

I'll start off with some pics of S. rubra subsp. wherryi in Splinter Hill Bog:

Hope you enjoyed, more Pics and Sarracenia species to come, stay tuned

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shots. Is this the only species of carnivorous plant in this location ?

No, there is actually 2 or three species around, if you look carefully in the first pic you might see some S. leucophylla, and in some of the pics you can see some yellow flowered Utricularia, which are probably U. striata, and there really hard to see but I think there is some D. capillaris in there too.
Nearby were some D. intermedia and D. tracyi, and we didn't see any but also some S. rosea

Nice!

For my 50th post I'll post some pics of something pretty rare, Sarracenia oreophila in the wild! I found these in a well known National Preserve or Park, can't remember if it was a reserve or park, in northern Alabama. They were pretty shaded, but it was still very cool to see such a rare plant in the wild, now I've only got to find S. alabamensis [also S. rubra subsp. alabamensis] and S. rubra supsp. jonesii...

Anyway, the pics aren't the best since it was getting dark and raining, sorry about that:

This plant in the next two pictures had a really nice long lid compared to the others:

Too bad they were growing in such a shaded habitat. Terrific plants though ! Always nice to see S. oreophila in the wild.

Too bad they were growing in such a shaded habitat. Terrific plants though ! Always nice to see S. oreophila in the wild.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I took GPS coordinates and gave them to the park biologist along with visual directions to the plants, and he said he would go take a look at them, so hopefully they cleared a little bit of the area around them so they could get more sun.

Some S. alata I saw on my return trip from Utah, somewhere right before the Alabama border with Mississippi, they were right next to the highway and were often mowed, hence the dwarf pitchers:

There was a few D. tracyi at the site too:

and then something really special, a S. alata x psittanica hybrid:

Some D. capillaris all over the ground, there virtually impossible to not accidentally step on:

A few plants were growing next to a fence and were much larger:

Last edited:
Here's probably my most impressive discovery I've made so far, a yellow flowered clone of S. leucophylla in NW FL! These plants were not anthocyanin free, the just had yellow flower's. Other yellow flowered clones have been discovered in AL, but these are to my knowledge the first to be discovered in FL*(see note). This site is slowly being crowded out and is often visited by 4 wheelers and pot growers, and it didn't help when the bottom half of the bog was destroyed to make a retention pond. I have repeatedly attempted to contact the Atlanta Botanical Gardens to see about preserving these plants and maybe even site but still haven't got a answer. This site is right in the middle of a large city, and right next to a huge food center, so it just shows how many new things are still out there to be found.

*(Note: After talking with Jim Burkhalter, the curator of the herbarium of the University of West Florida, whom I am a good friend with, he showed me a herbarium specimen of a mutant S. leucophylla flower that was yellow and had 6 petals, however, this was in the 1980's when he first collected it, and the site is believed to be gone now, so I can't confirm whether this plant was antho free or yellow flowered like the ones you are about to see)

These pics arn't the best quality, but there all I have right now, sorry!

Well, here's the pics!:

Close up, note the small amounts of red on the top

Here's a pic showing the normal red flowered form, and the yellow flowered clone

There were actually several plants here, around 7-10

Finally a plant that I believe to be a intermediate form between the yellow flowered form and the typical red flowered form, probably from the two plants crossing:

Last edited:
Fascinating! It would be a wonderful thing to get the locality into cultivation, even better to preserve the site, that is unique. And the possible intermediate is a beautiful color too, kind of surprising it's not a recessive trait.

These are all so cool! I hope I get to see some wild CPs some day!

Super cool! I need to get over to the panhandle area soon.

Panhandle is the place to be for Sarracenia in FL

Sorry, typo on Sarracenia, thanks Joseph!

Last edited:
Here's some more shots from the same bog as the yellow flowered S. leucophylla

These pics are from just a few day's ago, surprisingly there were still quite a few late season pitchers left

Some Drosera capillaris growing underwater, this species can be quite hardy:

You thought I was joking about the weed growers, plants are already gone but they left the pots, these are only two:

Nice pics sflynn. Next time I'm down that way we should go sarracenia hunting:).

Just give me a shout

Here's a bunch of Sarracenia rosea/purpurea sbsp. venosa var. burkii from Tarkiln Bayou State Park, I had to hike a lot to find this population but it was worth it!

This was the biggest pitcher I saw the whole time, it was huge!

Here's a shot of the whole plant

Some D. capillaris here too

A funky hybrid, I believe to be S. rosea x leucophylla

This has to be my all-time favorite Sarracenia hybrid, I believe to be S. rosea x leucophylla

Some D. tracyi

and D. capillaris

More D. tracyi, probably one of my all time favorite dews

D. tracyi field

Some D. intermedia that were growing next to a stream that ran down the middle of the trail

U. cornuta, I think, though there's a chance it could be juncea

Last edited:
Very nice. Great to see the natural hybrids and all the D. filiformis var. tracyi. Odd that the first hybrid doesn't seem to open it's pitchers fully.

Fantastic find! Did you find any larger, more mature clumps of S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii? All those look fairly small/juvenile.

I'm really excited to see hybrids with S. leucophylla. Those are, hands down, my favorite Sarracenia hybrids. Usually, I see them with fairly heavy red coloration and few windows, most being apparent on the pitcher body. It's really interesting to see one with more intermediate coloration. Then again, I think the crosses I've seen have all had a strongly colored burkii parent. It seems that you've been finding some with less red coloration.

Back