Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Plants in the Wild - My In Situ Explorations

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure miss seeing the Pogonia from locations near my childhood home. Those are beautiful. Thank you so much for documenting your excursion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I sure miss seeing the Pogonia from locations near my childhood home. Those are beautiful. Thank you so much for documenting your excursion.
    These Pogonia were a lot shorter and paler than others I've seen at different locations. Both of those species are getting increasing rare around here. It was great to see such healthy and plentiful populations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We traveled to 2 bogs today. The 1st, about a half an hour north of Boston was a disappointment. It was heavily grown in and the only CP's we found there were a small patch of Drosera rotundifolia and a very sparse and inaccessible population of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea. We also saw the only herpetofauna of the day here, a single Eastern garter Snake.

Eastern Garter Snake - Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis

Drosera rotundifolia

The 2nd site, in southern NH is one that I've visited in the past. This site holds a large and variable population of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea, the smallest specimens of Drosera intermedia I've ever seen, Drosera rotundifolia, Utricularia cornuta, 2 species of orchids and a very nice surprise.......

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea

Utricularia cornuta growing among some Drosera intermedia.

Drosera rotundifolia

Drosera intermedia

The biggest treat of the day was this small clump of anthocyanin free Drosera intermedia.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shoulda taken a leaf cutting of that intermedia , and yes you can quote me on that.

-Dave

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Nice pictures. The sphagnum in the first site looks pretty nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome pics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went to yet another spot today that we suspected may support some bogs. It's a heavily wooded area about 30 minutes north of Boston that is dotted with ponds and swamps. We didn't find any bogs but we did find some local orchids and PLENTY of Utricularia.

Utricularia purpurea - Unfortunately, these plants were too far out into the middle of the pond to get decent photos of without going for a few hundred yard swim. My knees just weren't feeling up to the task today.

Utricularia macrorhiza - We found this species growing in profusion in many of the ponds and swamps in the area.

Utricularia macrorhiza flowers blooming up through immense floating mats of Utricularia gibba. U.gibba is still about a week away from flowering here. We have never witnessed U.gibba in such profusion as it is at this site.

Utrcularia gibba - The impending blooms can been seen rising out of the dense mats of foliage. I'll try to get back out here next weekend to photograph the flowers.

We also found 2 species of orchids on the trail to one of the ponds.

Goodyera repens

Goodyera tesselata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool pics Johnny, looks like some good trips. Gotta start bringing the canoe just in case.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast