Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Plants in the Wild - My In Situ Explorations

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carnivorous Plants in the Wild - My In Situ Explorations

I've decided to consolidate all my photos of wild carnivorous plants and other associated flora into 1 thread. So far, I've visited bogs from Maine to Florida, I'm hoping to add a West Coast trip this summer.

This 1st bog, an Atlantic White Cedar Bog is almost within Boston city limits. It sports a decent population of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea, Drosera intermedia, Drosera rotundifolia, Drosera x beleziana, and several species of Utricularia along with other unusual bog flora and some of the most beautiful red sphagnum I've seen.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome pics! That red sphagnum really is something alright! Seen much in NJ? May/June is a great time to check things out there.......
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same location as above.

Drosera intermedia

Drosera rotundifolia

D. x beleziana - Natural Hybrid of D.intermedia and D.rotundifolia

Drosera x beliziana and Drosera intermedia

Drosera x beliziana

Utricularia geminiscapa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NECPS meeting at Black Jungle - August 2014

Site #1. While the CP's we saw at this site were impressive, the orchids stole the show today.

The general habitat where all the plants were growing.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea

Drosera rotundifolia

Utricularia intermedia and either U.macrorhiza or U.inflata

Utricularia cornuta

The orchids we found at this site......

Share the photo: Gymnadeniopsis (Platanthera) clavellata - Western Massachusetts - Site #1 - - See more at: http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/Ne....CLHSi66A.dpuf
    Gymnadeniopsis (Platanthera) clavellata - The Northern Club-Spur Orchis

Platanthera blepharoglottis - The Northern White Fringed Orchis

Pogonia ophioglossoides - Rose Pogonia or Snakemouth Orchid - We were very surprised to find these in bloom (or just recently so) this late in the season.

A passing flower.

Foliage.

A very exciting discovery and possibly a new form of P.ophioglossoides ! A peloric form of the plant with 3 radially symetrical lips intead of 1 !

Site #2 - This site had some Utricularia inflata or radiata that were too far out in the pond to photograph but there were some beautiful Platanthera lacera - The Ragged Fringed Orchis growing by the shore.

Site #3 - While lacking any orchids......this location was host to an extremely variable population of S.purpurea purpurea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Atlantic white cedar bog in Southern NH. This location sits in a depression right smack in the middle of suburbia. The area is under threat of disappearing due to the encroaching red maples and grey birches that are invading the bog at an alarming rate. The trees have probably gained a foothold in the otherwise inhospitable bog due to phosphates from fertilizer run off from the surrounding neighborhood.

Here's the general habitat.

The one orchid we found was Pogonia ophioglossoides, the Rose Pogonia. This species was extirpated inexplicably from the site but was successfully reintroduced several years ago. Maybe next year we'll get to this location early enough to see them in bloom.

Drosera intermedia - These are by far the smallest examples of adult D.intermedia I've seen at any of the bogs I've visited.

Drosera rotundifolia - These plants were also much smaller than any other D.rotundifolia I've seen.

Note the foliage of Utricularia cornuta in this photo.

Utricularia cornuta - None of these were in bloom and only a single expired flower stalk was found.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea - a seemingly healthy population on the brink of habitat loss.

Etiolated plants growing in what was once wide open bog habitat, now heavily grown in with saplings.

The plants growing in the open bog were beautiful and unique.

Fortunately we found many small seedlings in the area, ensuring at least for now that this population is continueing to grow and prosper.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ombrotropic bog in CT located right beside a very busy main road from which the plants can be seen if you looking for them. This location has a beautiful and abundant population of Sarracenia purpurea and Drosera rotundifolia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last summer I visited a few bogs on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I visited 3 different locations, all somewhat close to each other yet all ecologically different.

Site # 1

The entrance road and habitats where we found the plants . A fairly dry site, very unique among New England bog habitats as all 3 locations were.

Some sphagnum.

The one orchid we encountered on the trip, a C.tuberousus who's flower has just passed.

Some Lycopodium.

Sabatia kennedyana - The Plymouth Gentian. This plant was found in all 3 locations only growing in the exact same habitat as the carnivores.

Drosera intermedia

Drosera filiformis var. filiformis - The northern most population of this species in the United States, 2nd most northern in the world.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site #2

This was a very small, wet patch of ground completely surrounded by scrub oak, jack pine, brambles and poison ivy. If you didn't know this habitat existed in this exact spot, you would walk right on by, completely unaware.

Drosera intermedia

Both species growing side by side.

Drosera filiformis var. filiformis

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast