What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gillibrand pool filter sand #20

• Thread starter Ras
  • Start date
is this stuff safe for cps?
it looks a little bit more tan than play sand. but it has no ingredients on the bag ...but i did find this
http://www.pwgillibrand.com/images/Forms/PWG MSDS SAND 2.pdf
seems to be ok since the only contaminant listed being is a possible 0- 10% peat which shouldnt harm cp's either way but I thought i should post

Last edited:
Looks OK to me. Another opinion would be good for verification though..

Peat means partially decomposed vegetable matter. It doesn't mean automatically that it is from Sphagnum moss. Up to 10% probably isn't going to make a difference. You can always rinse the sand. Of course there are those who ridicule rinsing substrate before use. And there are those who don't wash their hands before preparing food or after going to the bathroom either.

Filter sand is by definition inert. In the confines of a sand filter, sand containing reactive components reacts. I speak from the experience of having to clean out a sand filter on a large sw aquarium which we had the bright idea to fill with aragonite sand. Even though the water in the system stayed in the low 8s, in short order the sand fused into a mass which needed to be removed with a hammer and chisel. The lower the pH the more rapidly the reaction which caused this progresses. Rinse or not as you choose, but sand marketed for filtration is chemically safe for cps.

Filter sand is by definition inert. In the confines of a sand filter, sand containing reactive components reacts. I speak from the experience of having to clean out a sand filter on a large sw aquarium which we had the bright idea to fill with aragonite sand. Even though the water in the system stayed in the low 8s, in short order the sand fused into a mass which needed to be removed with a hammer and chisel. The lower the pH the more rapidly the reaction which caused this progresses. Rinse or not as you choose, but sand marketed for filtration is chemically safe for cps.

yea I figured they wouldnt sell dirty alkaline sand if its meant for cleaning a pool lol only real thing that made me want to check is I have noticed they sell some weird chemically sounding substitute for filter sand tat was called Zeolite and I just wanted to make sure it was 100% sand with none of that stuff in it, because I dont know anything about it. then I saw the peat in the report and the fact I couldnt find the exact name(pool filter sand #20) that was on my bag anywhere online...and yea. so I posted
Peat means partially decomposed vegetable matter. It doesn't mean automatically that it is from Sphagnum moss. Up to 10% probably isn't going to make a difference. You can always rinse the sand. Of course there are those who ridicule rinsing substrate before use. And there are those who don't wash their hands before preparing food or after going to the bathroom either.

I always rinse the media especial sand. who knows what weird factory or quarry it came from, people dont realize alot of the media for cp's is very dangerous if it's not clean and handled right . not to mention i have never bought sand that didnt initially turn water cloudy. not even coated petco brand sand for aquariums.
and that is true, peat can have varying nutrients but usually around here natural peat is made from grass which is pretty crappy stuff, the rotundifolia out here seem to love it actually lol I live in the valley where we have miles of open fields, I assume they are harvesting the quartz locally have to label that there is a possibility some of the dirt can make it into the sand. I guess thats why I figured a little bit of it shouldnt hurt, IF there even is any in the bag which there probably isnt. but ofc I have to be sure and get some opinions

anyways thanks guys for the help!

Last edited:
Back