User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is flushing the pot with water necessary?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a link to "Responses of soil respiration and its temperature/moisture sensitivity to precipitation in three subtropical forests in southern China". I didn't think ps3's plants were growing in a subtropical forest in China. The question was quite simple but it looks like I will have to spell it out.

Is there a trial that demonstrates that frequent flushing of medium is beneficial to plants growing in a highland terrarium?

After all we don't want to be wasting time and resources doing things that are unnecessary or of minimal benefit.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confused about what you need a trial for...are you unsure of the physics of water pulling air down behind it? Or the fact that most plants (some more then others) benifit from more air to the roots? Seems to me like you just want to argue...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a fact there must be proof that frequent flushing benefits the plants in ps3's terrarium and benefits them enough to warrant the time and resources in doing so. I have encountered so many facts in this hobby that turned out to be anecdotal misrepresentations that to be answered with a glib oxymoron rings alarm bells. Please publish the results of the trials that prove the fact.
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets turn this around...show us some trials that prove otherwise.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now it's getting very very silly so before we descend into farce I'll stop asking the pertinent question. Such a pity no-one could answer it.
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my question to you is "silly" and "farce", but you asking us the same question isn't? I'm fairly open minded, so if you disagree with what the people aboves experiances show, then by all means please share proof.
    I believe Butch's plants are all the proof I need...plus it just seems logical in my mind.
    Last edited by tje25; 01-18-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if this topic is in any way related to the OPs other thread about bong water - "flushing the pot" - so to speak ;-)
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 01-18-2015 at 07:28 AM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Now it's getting very very silly so before we descend into farce I'll stop asking the pertinent question. Such a pity no-one could answer it.
    "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

After all we don't want to be wasting time and resources doing things that are unnecessary or of minimal benefit.
    You weren't concerned with conserving resources like peat moss in another thread, why is conservation such a concern here?

I have encountered so many facts in this hobby that turned out to be anecdotal misrepresentations that to be answered with a glib oxymoron rings alarm bells. Please publish the results of the trials that prove the fact.
    It take it you are referring among other things the root temperatures for Darlingtonia calfornica? I may point out that your observations in this area are merely anecdotal in nature. You had no control groups. You gave very few data points. There was no analysis of the data. Nor did you publish any results in a peer reviewed publication. It's a pity you didn't answer my pertinent questions such as durations temperatures either.

That's a link to "Responses of soil respiration and its temperature/moisture sensitivity to precipitation in three subtropical forests in southern China". I didn't think ps3's plants were growing in a subtropical forest in China. The question was quite simple but it looks like I will have to spell it out.
    You may as well ask what relevance growing Darlingtonia californica in a greenhouse in England has to say growing them on a balcony in Singapore. Many basic laws and principals of physics, biology and chemistry (until proven otherwise) work the same in a laboratory as they do in nature and for all intents and purposes are considered universal. Gas exchange across semi-permeable membranes is probably one of them.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 01-18-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast