Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Perhaps, here.

http://radmegan.com/2011/09/inspired...g-gardens.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Pretty aesthetically pleasing, but watering would be a bit of a process.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    First thought was "Cool!" Thought that came immediately after that was ... "But they'd be a ***** to water."
    Which is why it would be nice to see the associated narrative:

I plan on watering my string gardens about twice a week, via a “soaking bucket” of pure water, making them far too messy and soggy for me to keep in the house.
    The Pinguicula ball she said is indoors. She probably waters that with a spray bottle. The long fiber sphagnum outer shell will retain moisture well. She could may even be able to use a wick watering method with these.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing that came to mind was: long-term maintenance challenges!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how the roots would react to being subjected to light...

a utric ball is something i might consider but I cant keep things wet enough in my home. I dried out an orchid pretty quickly that was mounted. never tried mounted orchids again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From an esthetic standpoint it isn't my cup of tea. I don't think the growth habits of the plants selected lend themselves to basket culture. From a strictly utilitarian outlook it's the cat's meow for those with no outdoor space and sunny windows. On the other hand I think Neps would be wonderful subjects for this sort of culture, within the limits of space and mess as previously mentioned.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think orchids and such would be fine. For that to work, plant selection is critical. In fact, I have a Resurrection Fern ball that is modeled on the same principle. It goes dormant when dry and immediately greens up for every rainstorm.

The moisture needs of CPs IMO would preclude them from being used for such a system. Might work long enough to sell them, but as far as long-term growth, they'll never be happy. The only way I think you'd make that work is in a 100% constant humidity environment or on a mist bench. Even then, the intense lighting that CPs need will probably dry them out too fast.
    Last edited by theplantman; 01-21-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that would work for Nepenthes and butterworts, but not as well for VFT's and Sarracenia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This culture method is commonplace with orchids, although usually an open meshed plastic or slatted wooden container are used to allow the flower spikes of varieties that spike downwards such as Stanhopeas and Draculas to reach full potential instead of dead ending in a standard pot. It also provides a means to allow extensive root sytems the ability to dry quickly such as on my Rodriguezia venusta. It's a tried and true method if you do the work to keep the moisture level acceptable to the species grown.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 01-21-2015 at 09:34 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I much prefer to keep things as simple as possible so I can spend more time actually looking at the plants. This method would be far too time consuming for little ( if any) reward. They would only be short term too.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast