What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody else have really bad local CP nurseries?

I always see people getting really cool plants from their local nurseries such as Lowes, Home Depot, and etc.

WELL, the ones around my house have NONE OF THAT. THE ONLY plant they'll ever carry is generic venus flytrap.

I can drive a couple of hours up north to an awesome CP holy land but still.............

Do your local nurseries suck as much as mine?

and you dont know how mine local Nursery sucks...
i found all my plants with other grower...
i must do perhaps 300 Km to find a CP nursery

There's one in Half Moon Bay (the one on Hwy 92). I would not call them bad. They are incredibly overpriced, though.

Is Josh B. also in HMB? He's extraordinary, but only mail order (or shows) as far as I'm aware. He's supposed to be at the POE (Orchid Show) in SF next month, I think.

There is a hydroponics store in Berkeley (on University) which sells only a few CP, but they are pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
I am the supplier for the. Local nursery ........

I always see people getting really cool plants from their local nurseries such as Lowes, Home Depot, and etc.

WELL, the ones around my house have NONE OF THAT. THE ONLY plant they'll ever carry is generic venus flytrap.

I can drive a couple of hours up north to an awesome CP holy land but still.............

Do your local nurseries suck as much as mine?

Other than death cubes cps are virtually unavailable in my area. The place I work is a very nice pond & garden center that sells a few cps. The Sarrs are pretty nice, but before I started all watering was done with tap water with a tds of around 200 ppm, predominantly the result of limestone in the local geology. The few Dews and VFTs looked pretty sad though. A person walking in last spring looking for a source of pond and marginal plants might think they found the end of the rainbow. A person who walked in looking specifically for cps would likely be disappointed unless their experience is limited to the local places selling death cubes. This season will be different. We aren't going to set the cp world on fire, but our cps will be healthier and better displayed.

That's too bad, I used to live in a cp dead zone so I know how that feels. Although I wish we had a local cp retailer, specifically, I guess I can't complain. All our Lowe's have death cubes and those Sarr and vft rhizome terrarium kits nearly year round, HD has flytraps year round, and garden centers almost always have Nepenthes x ventrata and N. Miranda. If you're ever looking for a death cube S. purpurea ssp. venosa, I'm the one to hit up for one. I like to rescue them when they've been sitting around for a while and I can get them for super cheap. There's some variation in those clones. Sure you can get better quality right off the bat by ordering online from a reputable vendor, but sometimes it's nice to see and pick out a plant in person, and you can't beat the markdown prices.

Last edited:
Suggesting that local nurseries "suck" because they don't offer the plants you want most is a tad self-serving, IMO.

I don't really understand the point of this thread. Are you EXPECTING run of the mill nurseries to have a bonanza of carnivorous plants for sale ? If so, you'd better lower your expectations. With very few exceptions, all you will ever find at standard nurseries for carnivorous plants are the very few species and hybrids that are being mass produced in TC. Nurseries do not and will not specialize in these plants. As far as they are concerned they are just a cheap novelty impulse buy item. 99.9% of these plants sold by standard nurseries are doomed to die and they know this. Most of the time they're just hoping they sell before THEY kill them their selves.

Just wanted to add to what I said earlier that there's a wonderful general nursery in Half Moon Bay on Hwy 92 that sells a few carnivorous plants--nice Sarracenias and occasionally Nepenthes. Here's a Nepenthes 'Miranda'. It's bigger than it looks in this photo, huge pitchers, for $35, I think.

A few years ago I bought a similar plant at the Sunnyvale Farmer's market for $20.

And this was last weekend at the hydroponics store mentioned above in Berkeley. A "Poi Dog", price was somewhere between $25 and $35, probably closer to $25.

So those are in the Peninsula, South Bay, East Bay. I'm leaving out the North Bay. I think there's a place in Sebastopol...

Try looking outside the box a bit. The last vendor we invited to our orchid society meeting arrived with about 2 dozen different types of CPs. I'm going to try and provide some Cephs for our next orchid society sale. You might be surprised by how much of the information covered during orchid meeting crosses over to CP cultivation.

We have no CP nurseries and even the chain store don't carry live CPs anymore. Just seeds + some mix.

All else fails, spring and fall check the forums :) Many of us hibernate with out plants in the winter/summer.

Try looking outside the box a bit. The last vendor we invited to our orchid society meeting arrived with about 2 dozen different types of CPs. I'm going to try and provide some Cephs for our next orchid society sale. You might be surprised by how much of the information covered during orchid meeting crosses over to CP cultivation.

We have no CP nurseries and even the chain store don't carry live CPs anymore. Just seeds + some mix.

All else fails, spring and fall check the forums :) Many of us hibernate with out plants in the winter/summer.

No question. Almost half of the varieties of cp that I grow were obtained from TF members. If it hadn't been for RSS's generosity I might never have kept Cephalotus. I didn't think they were cool enough to justify the price they command. Six months or so of keeping one has me thinking which to get next!

I can get VFTs and rubras, purps sometimes, but all from lowes, walmart or home depot. There was a worms way, closed now, about 50 miles away and they had CPs but they didnt know how to care for them and they didnt look too great. The only place I buy or get CPs from is the net.

Like Subrosa, other than deathcubes there's nothing around here. And even then, it is almost always just vfts.

oooo, I'll have to go check out the Half Moon Bay and Sunnyvale nursery. thanks!

I'll also stop complaining

Back