User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else have really bad local CP nurseries?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody else have really bad local CP nurseries?

I always see people getting really cool plants from their local nurseries such as Lowes, Home Depot, and etc.

WELL, the ones around my house have NONE OF THAT. THE ONLY plant they'll ever carry is generic venus flytrap.

I can drive a couple of hours up north to an awesome CP holy land but still.............

Do your local nurseries suck as much as mine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and you dont know how mine local Nursery sucks...
    i found all my plants with other grower...
    i must do perhaps 300 Km to find a CP nursery

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's one in Half Moon Bay (the one on Hwy 92). I would not call them bad. They are incredibly overpriced, though.

Is Josh B. also in HMB? He's extraordinary, but only mail order (or shows) as far as I'm aware. He's supposed to be at the POE (Orchid Show) in SF next month, I think.

There is a hydroponics store in Berkeley (on University) which sells only a few CP, but they are pretty reasonable.
    Last edited by RandyS; 01-23-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the supplier for the. Local nursery ........

Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    I always see people getting really cool plants from their local nurseries such as Lowes, Home Depot, and etc.

WELL, the ones around my house have NONE OF THAT. THE ONLY plant they'll ever carry is generic venus flytrap.

I can drive a couple of hours up north to an awesome CP holy land but still.............

Do your local nurseries suck as much as mine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than death cubes cps are virtually unavailable in my area. The place I work is a very nice pond & garden center that sells a few cps. The Sarrs are pretty nice, but before I started all watering was done with tap water with a tds of around 200 ppm, predominantly the result of limestone in the local geology. The few Dews and VFTs looked pretty sad though. A person walking in last spring looking for a source of pond and marginal plants might think they found the end of the rainbow. A person who walked in looking specifically for cps would likely be disappointed unless their experience is limited to the local places selling death cubes. This season will be different. We aren't going to set the cp world on fire, but our cps will be healthier and better displayed.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's too bad, I used to live in a cp dead zone so I know how that feels. Although I wish we had a local cp retailer, specifically, I guess I can't complain. All our Lowe's have death cubes and those Sarr and vft rhizome terrarium kits nearly year round, HD has flytraps year round, and garden centers almost always have Nepenthes x ventrata and N. Miranda. If you're ever looking for a death cube S. purpurea ssp. venosa, I'm the one to hit up for one. I like to rescue them when they've been sitting around for a while and I can get them for super cheap. There's some variation in those clones. Sure you can get better quality right off the bat by ordering online from a reputable vendor, but sometimes it's nice to see and pick out a plant in person, and you can't beat the markdown prices.
    Last edited by Taargus; 01-24-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggesting that local nurseries "suck" because they don't offer the plants you want most is a tad self-serving, IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really understand the point of this thread. Are you EXPECTING run of the mill nurseries to have a bonanza of carnivorous plants for sale ? If so, you'd better lower your expectations. With very few exceptions, all you will ever find at standard nurseries for carnivorous plants are the very few species and hybrids that are being mass produced in TC. Nurseries do not and will not specialize in these plants. As far as they are concerned they are just a cheap novelty impulse buy item. 99.9% of these plants sold by standard nurseries are doomed to die and they know this. Most of the time they're just hoping they sell before THEY kill them their selves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast