User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which method saves more water, tray or individual saucer?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to compute the total annual estimated cost for distilled water and compare it with the cost of a reverse osmosis filter.

and ya, uhhhh Tacks, I def should've taken advantage of that rain storm. Really regretting not getting my lazy *** off the couch during winter break.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like trays. they seem to keep it much longer

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing, all things being equal, whatever allows for more surface area exposed to the air, will evaporate faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I'm guessing, all things being equal, whatever allows for more surface area exposed to the air, will evaporate faster.
    Probably true. I would think that if they're kept outside the color of the containers would matter more if. White will heat up least, so it would evaporate the slowest.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    I'm going to compute the total annual estimated cost for distilled water and compare it with the cost of a reverse osmosis filter.

and ya, uhhhh Tacks, I def should've taken advantage of that rain storm. Really regretting not getting my lazy *** off the couch during winter break.
    You'll need to know the approximate lifespan of the membrane with your particular water. If you can find a reef aquarist in your vicinity they would likely know. It's highly dependent upon your input water. Fwiw with a 5 stage 100 gpd unit that makes water for my plants and my aquarium business I get around 2 years out of a membrane with input water running around 200 ppm predominantly from limestone. I make and use a fair amount of water, probably 25 gal a week. I do flush my membrane before each use.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I responded to this question on another forum, I figure my two cents here might also be warranted.

Large troughs are the way to go. The more volume of water the greater the capacitance for heat or lack thereof. As such, more water will evaporate less quickly. That's partially why ponds and lakes don't go bone dry in the heat waves of summer. My Sarracenia troughs, when filled with potted plants and water, will go weeks without being topped off even during intense andbprolonged heat waves. Though surface area is a huge factor, so is overall volume and heat and light transmission through the sides of a tray (i.e. clear drip pans). My custom troughs provide all the right conditions to maintain water level when filled.

I have had great success with the pictured setup.

Last edited by CorneliusSchrute; 01-27-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12