Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need opinions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hm.. correct me if im wrong but it sounds like milled sphagnum is just all around better?
    is there any species that come to mind that wouldn't do better in milled sphagnum compared to peat?
    maybe some species that needs a lot of humic acid and tannins that sphagnum doesnt give
    Last edited by Ras; 01-29-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it generally works great for most plants, but there are always some odd-ducks out there who require more specific potting mediums. Some plants that come to mind...

Drosophyllum sp.

Nepenthes pervillei

Nepenthes northiana?

Many Mexican Pinguicula

Tuberous Drosera

And some may argue that most Sarracenia would actually prefer a mix that isn't made up of entirely sphagnum.

And there are many other exceptions. But when I am in doubt... I just slap a plant into a pot full of sphagnum.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience there's a bit of a learning curve with sphagnum I tend to over water in it and me cephalotus died because of that
    Last edited by jwalker; 01-29-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I think it generally works great for most plants, but there are always some odd-ducks out there who require more specific potting mediums. Some plants that come to mind...

Drosophyllum sp.

Nepenthes pervillei

Nepenthes northiana?

Many Mexican Pinguicula

Tuberous Drosera

And some may argue that most Sarracenia would actually prefer a mix that isn't made up of entirely sphagnum.

And there are many other exceptions. But when I am in doubt... I just slap a plant into a pot full of sphagnum.
    i see
    so 2-1 mix sand/milled sphag is probably not a good mix for tuberous you say, but what about other finicky winter growers like hilaris or alba?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    From my experience there's a bit of a learning curve with sphagnum I tend to over water in it and me cephalotus died because of that
    Have you tried using drainless ceramic pots (aka african violet pots) or doing the wicking method?
    I grow mine similar to african violets in a ceramic pot with no holes, set the pot in a tray of water and the ceramic will absorb the water just about as fast as the water evaporates from the top of the soil, thus never over or under watering. with some exception like during cold months I let the tray dry out for a few days.
    Last edited by Ras; 01-29-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I'm not sure. My experience with Drosera is limited. Of the few that I have grown they did okay in 100% sphagnum. I think 2 - 1 sand sphagnum mix is probably fine for most CP's, but to be safe you could throw in a pinch of vermiculite or bark, or something airy like that.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makes sense
    I guess I wonder so much because I fear rotting some fancy winter grower, which I plan to start growing next year. So comes the problem of the low quality Canadian peat moss they sell around here. The sphagnum moss is perfectly fine though, which made me wonder if I couldn't just replace peat altogether, with fine sphagnum. I know my sub tropicals wouldn't mind atall but I wasnt sure about others.. plus its just best to ask these things first
    Last edited by Ras; 01-29-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12