Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need opinions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need opinions

blended (put through a blender) sphagnum moss vs peat moss

is there any difference other than the sphagnum being cleaner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sphagnum will grow

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat moss is just decayed sphagnum.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pH is lower on peat
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for whatever reason it wont let me thank the other two posts, so thank you!

The problem I have is I can only buy low quality peat from local places, this stuff rots fast. and regardless how much I rinse it I still find it molds easily and my plants get humic acid buildup on their crowns which is harmless for most but I feel might cause crown rot for some other plants just from the crown being wet. also its butt ugly.

My main concern about using sphagnum was it being too airy for some species but if i blend it enough , almost down to a powder it should be fine I assume and the same as peat. besides ofc the differences you guys listed... and I hope cleaner.
    considering peat is decomposed sphagnum, if I flushed my pots out from the top every now and then could I get away with reusing the same media? by that I mean at the end of each year, remove the plants from the sphagnum rinse the sphagnum and re-pot them in the same stuff rather then giving them new media.. thus clearing out nitrogen and gas pockets.

i was also thinking this might be a good idea for rot prone plants like cephs and tuberous, using 2part sand 1 part blended sphagnum, any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concentrations of tannic and humic acids are higher in peat, also.

The deposition of same, in the crowns (which I've noticed are common with Drosera aliciae and sometimes other varieties), can easily be remedied by a little periodic top watering, also planting the affected species in LFS (long fiber sphagnum) instead of peat based media, works.

One of the things I do to improve conditions in situations such as you describe, is to innoculate the rinsed/slightly damp peat moss with RootShieldŽ, a brand of Trichoderma harzianum. Within a week or two prior to using it for planting. This helps control undesirable mold and fungi, though it also will eat/decompose cellulose (though, for me, with desirable side-effects). Theoretically the low pH of the peat will inhibit the Trichoderma.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that, if you have some on hand, milled sphagnum is usually a great option for most carnivorous plants. It's immediate absorbancy and consistency when compared to bulk dried peat is also quite enjoyable.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast