What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For admins

PLEASE REMOVE THAT MALWARE - Software Updater!!!!!! BEC WHEN I GET ON THE DISCUSSION - I GOT A POPUP AND IT CHANGED ME TO A WEBSITE TO DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE UPDATER. I DO NOT WANT IT PERIOD. I DID CHECKED EVERYTHING AND FOUND EVERYTHING IS UPDATED.... I HAD TO DO IT TWO TO THREE TIMES. THEN FINALLY GOT IN HERE.

I don't think it's coming from TF cos I never got any of that.

If it happen again, I'll do a screenshot and post it in here if possible.

No such pop up to update from my end.

Before then I'd suggest you go through your Control Panel > Programs and Features and then Google the names of anything suspicious you see in the programs list. If it is ID'd as malware or adware delete it and restart your PC.

I have some pretty good anti-malware and adware software on my PC but I still get something on a rare occasions and end up having to do that bit of housecleaning.

I have avast on my computer. I uninstalled norton. but one thing, at the first time, when I was in the process to download the updater, I reviewed the license agreement, and found it was not trustful but I dont understand why norton said it was safe and also avast didn't block me. If it happen again I will make a screenshot.

Terraforums has no required software to install in order to use the site, so there's no updates or anything to install. Whatever has been installed is not from TF.

No problem - hope you get it sorted out! :)

Until you do don't log in to any sensitive sites like your bank or paypal accounts cos they might be logging your keys. Check out your installed programs list and get rid of any questionable stuff before doing any online commerce again.

Definitely there is not anything to download for TerraForums... The best I can come up with is that this is the google advertising issue we saw a little bit back. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/138179-Are-you-getting-redirected-off-of-TF It looks like others have complained about a similar pop-up on the adsense forums, but no one has figured out which advertisement it is that is doing the forwarding. If we could figure that out, I could get it blocked. Basically if you can get a screenshot of the advertisements that are on the page when you get redirected off, I should be able to use that to find the ad and get it blocked.
Thanks!
Andrew

Every time I launch the 64 bit version of Firefox, called Nightly, it launches its updater. Every time. Perhaps you are running that browser version.

I have Windows 8 64 Bit but I don't get any sort of updater. But I do have Ad Block Plus enabled from Firefox.

Swords, try installing, the 64 bit version of, Nightly. It's a beta 64 bit version of Firefox. Part of using it, is having it run its "updater" almost every time it is launched.

Last edited:
You bet, Andrew if it happens again, I'll do it for sure. Thanks!

Joseph, I don't think I want an updater installing every time I launch. :lol:

Major updates are fine but I don't wanna go through some chaos every time I load the web... 15 times day! LOL

I understand that. It's why I only launch that browser version, once or twice per week.

Back