What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So how do you do it?

I am stumped. HOW DO YOU GROW LIVE SPHAGNUM AS A TOP LAYER WITHOUT IT BURNING?? I seriously dig those pots of nepenthes with the billowing sphagnum moss literally pouring over the sides... what does it take?? frequent overhead misting? pot sitting in water? ugh. pics of your plant-moss combos welcome :-D

Last edited:
Continuous high humidity and proper temps does it for me. In enclosed environments like the LL tanks, vivariums and HL chamber moss grows and lives fine. But if I try to grow it outside of a terrarium or outside on the patio it turns black on top with a bit of green deep inside.

Last edited:
I tried some on a grow rack and I got black tips or just plain dead Sphagnum pretty quickly. A higher water level in pots seemed to help, but my guess was that it was partially a humidity problem coupled with the intensity of light that I had.

Consistent high humidity (never less than 70%) and frequent misting is key in an artificial environment.

20130513-095327.jpg

Exactly what swords said. Humidity, humidity, humidity. I finally got my mega humidifier to work in my grow room. The first one I kind of sat on fire... whoops lol. Anyway checkout http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html. I eventually plan on selling my own design but I am a ways off from finishing it. Put the fogger in a bucket of water, stick a fan on it, wire it to a controller, and bam you got constant humidity. Be careful though because anything metal will rust at the levels you need to keep sphagnum growing. You also have to keep everything pretty waterproof to deter mold and mildew.

As long as you have the humidity and can keeps temps around 70 it can handle full sun. It just takes awhile to be fully acclimated to it.

Back