Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: harborfreight greenhouse

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these greenhouses. Theyre OK.. but i wouldnt want more.
    They get very hot in summer, and if theres a wind over 20 mph, it basically does an atomic test re-enactment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 6x8 and the 10x12. Theyre "good" greenhouses but definitely not great and with all the extra money I put into modifying the 10x12 I honestly wouldnt do it again. Id just build a hoophouse.

Definitely a good greenhouse until you can afford something better and you'd be surprised what screws and a ton of silicone can do for the stability of the structure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    In our world now a days, empathy is very lacking. You may benefit from trying this on yourself and then with other people. Because you really can't give other people what you don't have. Or teach other's what you don't know.

Theresa Wiseman, a nursing scholar in the UK who studied various professions where empathy was relevant, listed four attributes that described empathy.
    1. Perspective taking ( Taking the perspective of another person as their truth).
    2. Staying out of judgement (It's especially hard when we enjoy it so much).
    3. Identifying the emotion in the other person
    4. Communicating that emotion back.

Empathy is also very different form sympathy. Empathy drives connection where as sympathy drives disconnection.

Let's practice.
    1. The perceptive of the person was he said he didn't want to post in the future. This is his truth. Whether you think certain people have the right to feel offended or not, that's his truth.
    2. Staying out of judgement (which you didn't do with your response), this is hard for all of us because judgement is a way for us to launch ourselves out of own insecurities. This can be achieved by making observation without evaluation.
    3. His probably feeling discouraged (this is hard just with text alone)
    4. And simply communicating that feeling back.

Which is what I said early "hey i'm sorry if my post made you feel discouraged and not wanting to post again.

Feel free to try this
    Your posts on conflict resolution have been very intersting reading. The method outlined is a lucid, well thought out way of dealing with interpersonal conflict. However allow me to offer a counterpoint which in my own experience has proved very effective at settling disputes. In my experience if it doesn't work the fault lies not with the method itself, but with the failure to fully implement it:
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha, the fake ad is hilarious Paul. I do find Harbor Freight great for some things, but there is definitely some basis of truth in that ad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    I believe communication and resolving disputes can't be accomplished without empathy.

this belief stems from the work of Marshall Rosenberg's work "Non-violent communication"

also i'm wiling to admit i'm new at this and my work isn't foul proof
    Please know that I'm 100% sincere when I say you seem to be on a great path, the materials you've cited here include some excellent tools I wish I had known about 10-15 years ago. I hope you keep studying communication and conflict resolution, and find productive ways to implement these principles in the 'real world' which sadly seems to grow less and less sane by the day.

That said, why are you talking about a molehill like it's a mountain? To recap: dozer posted along the lines of "HF GHs on sale, check it out!"; whimgrinder posted a parody ad that everyone commenting has agreed is funny (including dozer!); dozer then says, "Funny but some people have decent luck with them after some modifications. Next time I won't share."; whimgrinder responded to say he hadn't intended to discourage dozer from posting anything dozer felt useful. And now you're talking about empathy and non-violent communication as if a parody poking fun at Harbor Freight (NOT even at their greenhouses) was majorly disrespectful to dozer... Am I missing something?

Remember that empathy in communication has receptive and expressive aspects, and that taking offense betrays lack of empathy at least as much as giving it. It's also probably more functional to operationalize and teach empathy from a primarily receptive/reflective stance, as illustrated by your excellent Theresa Wiseman quote. But more importantly, this is a thread about a cheap greenhouse kit in a forum about carnivorous plants, in which a very minor communication misunderstanding occurred.
    --Nat--

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnathaniel View Post
    Please know that I'm 100% sincere when I say you seem to be on a great path, the materials you've cited here include some excellent tools I wish I had known about 10-15 years ago. I hope you keep studying communication and conflict resolution, and find productive ways to implement these principles in the 'real world' which sadly seems to grow less and less sane by the day.

That said, why are you talking about a molehill like it's a mountain? To recap: dozer posted along the lines of "HF GHs on sale, check it out!"; whimgrinder posted a parody ad that everyone commenting has agreed is funny (including dozer!); dozer then says, "Funny but some people have decent luck with them after some modifications. Next time I won't share."; whimgrinder responded to say he hadn't intended to discourage dozer from posting anything dozer felt useful. And now you're talking about empathy and non-violent communication as if a parody poking fun at Harbor Freight (NOT even at their greenhouses) was majorly disrespectful to dozer... Am I missing something?

Remember that empathy in communication has receptive and expressive aspects, and that taking offense betrays lack of empathy at least as much as giving it. It's also probably more functional to operationalize and teach empathy from a primarily receptive/reflective stance, as illustrated by your excellent Theresa Wiseman quote. But more importantly, this is a thread about a cheap greenhouse kit in a forum about carnivorous plants, in which a very minor communication misunderstanding occurred.
    My exact thoughts, but with far more eloquence!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnathaniel View Post
    why are you talking about a molehill like it's a mountain?
    It is one of man's greatest stumbling blocks that we are inclined to assign someone's actions with malicious intent where in fact there is none.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 02-14-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok we can stop this thread. . I could care less about the joke. Some people don't have a lot of money to buy a greenhouse. Harbor freights brand definitely has issues but for that price that's what you get. I don't own one and don't buy much of anything at that store. I work in 30+ million dollar homes I know the difference between good and bad quality. My simple post to advertise a sale price has gone way to far. We have a lot of people here that would love to own a greenhouse at a price that they can afford. .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast