What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

harborfreight greenhouse

I believe communication and resolving disputes can't be accomplished without empathy.

this belief stems from the work of Marshall Rosenberg's work "Non-violent communication"

also i'm wiling to admit i'm new at this and my work isn't foul proof

Please know that I'm 100% sincere when I say you seem to be on a great path, the materials you've cited here include some excellent tools I wish I had known about 10-15 years ago. I hope you keep studying communication and conflict resolution, and find productive ways to implement these principles in the 'real world' which sadly seems to grow less and less sane by the day.

That said, why are you talking about a molehill like it's a mountain? To recap: dozer posted along the lines of "HF GHs on sale, check it out!"; whimgrinder posted a parody ad that everyone commenting has agreed is funny (including dozer!); dozer then says, "Funny but some people have decent luck with them after some modifications. Next time I won't share."; whimgrinder responded to say he hadn't intended to discourage dozer from posting anything dozer felt useful. And now you're talking about empathy and non-violent communication as if a parody poking fun at Harbor Freight (NOT even at their greenhouses) was majorly disrespectful to dozer... Am I missing something?

Remember that empathy in communication has receptive and expressive aspects, and that taking offense betrays lack of empathy at least as much as giving it. It's also probably more functional to operationalize and teach empathy from a primarily receptive/reflective stance, as illustrated by your excellent Theresa Wiseman quote. But more importantly, this is a thread about a cheap greenhouse kit in a forum about carnivorous plants, in which a very minor communication misunderstanding occurred.

Please know that I'm 100% sincere when I say you seem to be on a great path, the materials you've cited here include some excellent tools I wish I had known about 10-15 years ago. I hope you keep studying communication and conflict resolution, and find productive ways to implement these principles in the 'real world' which sadly seems to grow less and less sane by the day.

That said, why are you talking about a molehill like it's a mountain? To recap: dozer posted along the lines of "HF GHs on sale, check it out!"; whimgrinder posted a parody ad that everyone commenting has agreed is funny (including dozer!); dozer then says, "Funny but some people have decent luck with them after some modifications. Next time I won't share."; whimgrinder responded to say he hadn't intended to discourage dozer from posting anything dozer felt useful. And now you're talking about empathy and non-violent communication as if a parody poking fun at Harbor Freight (NOT even at their greenhouses) was majorly disrespectful to dozer... Am I missing something?

Remember that empathy in communication has receptive and expressive aspects, and that taking offense betrays lack of empathy at least as much as giving it. It's also probably more functional to operationalize and teach empathy from a primarily receptive/reflective stance, as illustrated by your excellent Theresa Wiseman quote. But more importantly, this is a thread about a cheap greenhouse kit in a forum about carnivorous plants, in which a very minor communication misunderstanding occurred.

My exact thoughts, but with far more eloquence!

why are you talking about a molehill like it's a mountain?

It is one of man's greatest stumbling blocks that we are inclined to assign someone's actions with malicious intent where in fact there is none.

Last edited:
Ok we can stop this thread. . I could care less about the joke. Some people don't have a lot of money to buy a greenhouse. Harbor freights brand definitely has issues but for that price that's what you get. I don't own one and don't buy much of anything at that store. I work in 30+ million dollar homes I know the difference between good and bad quality. My simple post to advertise a sale price has gone way to far. We have a lot of people here that would love to own a greenhouse at a price that they can afford. .

Hey, I love my HF GHs...much better than no GHs lol.

Dont ever be discouraged from buying one of these;).

Ah... winter wonder land... lol.. I'm ready for spring

Dont ever be discouraged from buying one of these;).

You didn't complete that sentence. Should include: "as long as you are prepared to reinforce the frame to improve structural stability." :-O

My 6x8 has zero reinforcement and its always held snow fine;). Youre being a lil over dramatical about how horrible the GHs are. Makes me wonder if you speak from experience or youre just making assumptions. Besides a few panels blowing out that I didnt secure well enough I havent had any problems with the HFGHs and the only reason I wouldnt buy one again is because I can get more space for the same price.

Dionae he's just starting trouble. Because if he had that bad of luck he must of sucked at assembly

Last edited:
Dionae he's just starting trouble. Because if he had that bad of luck he must of sucked at assembly
Believe me...I know exactly what he's up to.

Lots of drama on this forum. to be precise, three pages of it on this post. I thought the joke was mildly funny. I wasn't on the floor or anything.. that being said I honestly think Whim did not mean to strike any nerves. however, his tone in the following comments and his continued insisting that every Harbor freight house NEEDS this and that and whatever else he said to be a successful house is completely unnecessary. But I have to tell you man... whether you mean to be or not, you come off as condescending in these posts. I wouldn't doubt your a great guy. Just saying you need to start considering how the author might feel (and by this I mean considering all reactions, including extreme ones, such was what some people replying to this post exhibited).
I'm just pointing out something I have noticed, and I really don't want anyone to change their personality for me.

Last edited:
Hahaha, the fake ad is hilarious Paul. I do find Harbor Freight great for some things, but there is definitely some basis of truth in that ad.

Lots of drama on this forum. to be precise, three pages of it on this post. I thought the joke was mildly funny. I wasn't on the floor or anything.. that being said I honestly think Whim did not mean to strike any nerves. however, his tone in the following comments and his continued insisting that every Harbor freight house NEEDS this and that and whatever else he said to be a successful house is completely unnecessary. Whim, I can't make any personal opinions you because I do not know you. But I have to tell you man... whether you mean to be or not, you come off as condescending in a good portion of your posts concerning giving any sort of opinion or claim that challenges another person's. I understand some people on here know you better and are used to this, and I wouldn't doubt your a great guy. Just saying you need to start considering how others might feel (and by this I mean considering all reactions, including extreme ones, such was what some people replying to this post exhibited).
I'm just pointing out something I have noticed, and I really don't want anyone to change their personality for me. Again, Just sayin'.

Telling someone they come off as condescending qualifies as a very personal expression of one's personal opinion. Point of logic. Just sayin'........

Telling someone they come off as condescending qualifies as a very personal expression of one's personal opinion. Point of logic. Just sayin'........

Post has been edited to make it less emotionally charged. Subrosa, thank you for pointing out any points of self-contradiction that may have caused others to confuse my intentions.

Last edited:
Post has been edited to make it less emotionally charged. Subrosa, thank you for pointing out any points of self-contradiction that may have caused others to confuse my intentions.

Also saying "you need to start considering how others might feel" is at odds with saying "I really don't want anyone to change their personality for me". Again, just sayin'......

Also saying "you need to start considering how others might feel" is at odds with saying "I really don't want anyone to change their personality for me". Again, just sayin'......

what I suggest does not AT ALL mean he has to change his personality. I simply suggest to show the common courtesy of considering others feelings while posting on forums where original intentions of dialogue can be misinterpreted.
No need to be aggressive. the post was not even directed at you. It is my opinion. I maintain it.
This is a community built for CP growers to educate one another, not to berate each other. Sometimes, you have to address behavior that makes you feel uncomfortable when people stray from this ideal.
I do not want a simple forum post to taint any relationships (if there was any chance of it) between myself and other members such as Subrosa or Whim alike. I know you are both skilled growers. I just simply ask Whim to consider what I have said.

Last edited:
I laughed my donkey off at the ad spoof to be sure! Thank you Paul for that. I want to remind participants to public forums that they are inviting open discussion and participation on their posts however welcome or unwelcome those responses. I would hope that this thread doesn't discourage participation in this forum. In fact quite on the contrary, while this thread is proposed "dead", I hope this thread serves as inspiration for open dialogue in the future so long as that dialogue is an accurate representation of self and not just a feeble attempt at trolling the forums.

what I suggest does not AT ALL mean he has to change his personality. I simply suggest to show the common courtesy of considering others feelings while posting on forums where original intentions of dialogue can be misinterpreted.
No need to be aggressive. the post was not even directed at you. It is my opinion. I maintain it.
This is a community built for CP growers to educate one another, not to berate each other. Sometimes, you have to address behavior that makes you feel uncomfortable when people stray from this ideal.
I do not want a simple forum post to taint any relationships (if there was any chance of it) between myself and other members such as Subrosa or Whim alike. I know you are both skilled growers. I just simply ask Whim to consider what I have said.

Apparently you and I share widely different definitions of the words "need" and "aggressive". Agreeing at least upon those definitions, if not upon what levels of each we consider acceptable would seem a prerequisite to any sensible relationship. Also you would have to stop berating other forum members for the offense of berating other forum members. That's a job for the boys and girls in blue. Which raises the interesting question, do we have any female mods? Have to look into that now

Back