User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best shipping option: Priority Mail by weight vs. Flat Rate vs. First Class Parcel...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusSchrute View Post
    Here, here. OPs post is spot-on IMO.

I don't usually ship anything too expensive or heavy, as such First Class is my preferred method even across the continent. I always check the arrival times and try to ship living items on Mondays to make sure First Class is optimized for my needs. If my package exceeds the thirteen-ounce rule then Priority is my necessary preference. I seldom choose Priority over First Class, though; indeed, I only choose Priority over First Class when the $50 insurance is warranted. If tracking is required one can add it to First Class for something around $1.

You can also use your own boxes for Priority mail. I often do so, as I find long boxes with triangular cross sections are good for shipping Sarracenia with intact pitchers. Though the USPS offers such boxes, my post office never stocks them.

I find the flat rate shipping to be a rip-off unless I am shipping lead/gold bars. Sometimes it is fun to see how much you can make one of those little small Flat Rate boxes weigh. Which reminds me... anyone want to buy some fishing weights padded with sand?
    Order the triangular mailers from USPS online. free. Will deliver to your door :0

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snap! Thanks, friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me I judge by what I'm shipping and how heavy.

If it's more than 1 or 2 pounds and will fit into a flat rate box I will use the flat rate box. Sometimes stuff just doesn't fit in flat rate box though.

Live plants I always ship priority and for those I generally use blank boxes cos bare root plants and cuttings are lightweight and oftentimes weird sizes that won't fit a flat rate box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Useful information with all the plants shipping that occurs between forum members. I was worndering were some people get those " trianglar" mailers.

I've got a couple of plants that I was told were shipped to me almost 2 weeks ago; no tracking info, they are MIA - I do not have very much hope for a successful arival, the weather has taken a dive in Central MO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12