Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sarracenia Family Tree Research, from UGA and ABG

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Sarracenia Family Tree Research, from UGA and ABG

Some of the folks I work with have finally published their research on the Sarracenia family tree. I have been holding off on sharing details on this research forever and can't contain my excitement any longer!

I know almost all of the authors personally (folks from UGA and the Atlanta Botanical Garden), and can attest that you couldn't ask for a more dedicated group of people to do this research. The paper represents years of work, culminating in likely the best resolution of the tree in 30 years. Most of it's in foreign science language, but this paper will be the standard for taxonomy and conservation efforts for some time.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...55790315000330
    Last edited by theplantman; 02-23-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this the other day. I always figured that S.oreophila was much more closely related to S.flava than indicated in that abstract. Where some the other species fit in with each other is interesting as well. Thanks for sharing this Kevin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting stuff...

Am I looking at this correctly?
    - S. flava is more closely related to S. psittacina than to S. oreophila?
    - S. alabamensis is more closely related to S. leucophylla than to the others in the rubra complex?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that Darlingtonia is at the base. An previous study put Heliamphora at the base with evidence that seemed to indicate there were two "migrations" that resulted in Darlingtonia and Sarracenia.

Wrong! See my post below.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 02-23-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Interesting stuff...

Am I looking at this correctly?
    - S. flava is more closely related to S. psittacina than to S. oreophila?
    - S. alabamensis is more closely related to S. leucophylla than to the others in the rubra complex?
    You are correct. All of this is based on molecular work rather than morphological features.

If you have seen the fenestrations in a mature S. alabamensis, you pick up on the relationship instantaneously... I saw my first mature S. alabamensis at ABG this year and was blown away by the resemblance.

What's even crazier is that it suggests that S. alata needs to exist within the S. rubra complex rather than as a separate species.

And additionally, S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana is closest to the base of the S. purpurea tree and most resembles the "ancestral" S. purpurea. To me, the study is suggesting that due to the genetic separateness of S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana, combined with the rarity of the populations and habitats (mountain bogs), we need to prioritize conservation efforts more than we already do (in GA at least). The paper mentions that it is already a candidate to federally list, and I think the study supports that. So, for the folks that have S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana, spread it into cultivation at all costs.

And the best part to me is that S. oreophila, S. jonesii, and S. alabamensis all come out separately, so current conservation efforts are 100% warranted and scientifically supported!!!
    Last edited by Not a Number; 02-23-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already working on anew taxonomy based on this study and in-situ observations.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also interesting is that the two gulf coast varieties of flavas are grouped differently then other flavas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Koalie they're not grouped differently, they're grouped within S. flava.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast