Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss: Nomenclature edits on forum posts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Even more likely than that, the extra effort of the moderator doing that job comes to mind. And the possibility that some people just won't care enough to do the work and make the change so the post goes unmodified by anyone. Too much of that and those willing to put in the extra work may lose interest. Or maybe even the mod then comes across the post again, not sure if they had already addressed that one either sends another message to the user (who possibly gets upset about being messaged twice) or at least is more wasted volunteer time by that moderator.
    Those are reasonable concerns. But you also face the potential scenario in which your members simply stop contributing valued content because they're insulted by this editing practice and don't care to set themselves up for more of it.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone is stating that we should not use proper names. But I do echo the sentiments that it appears as if the edits are done behind the members' backs because we don't know any better...or something to that effect. That seems a bit dramatic.

I wouldn't even care if it was done in public as a responding post in the thread. That way everyone could see the suggested change even if the OP "did not return for 6 months." So long as it doesn't derail the thread and turn into an aggressive nomenclature argument, I don't see why the discussion would have to be done in PM...although I guess I see why people prefer the privacy angle if they want to do it themselves.

I do agree that the way it's been handled so far is not ideal, but appreciate official dialogue being started instead of allowing people to continue bickering.
    Last edited by jpappy789; 03-06-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the delay in starting the thread... We have been discussing it in the mod forum since it came up, so please don't think the concern went under the rug. I figured talking about it with all of you was a good idea at this point.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a recent thread that was heavily edited, and I still disagree with the "corrected" version.

I stated my opinion, posted evidence of such etc
    I respect their change, but I will now avoid using names altogether rather than use a name that was considered obsolete 10 yrs ago.
    There are other members who have said thing to me in private.

The "corrected" version is no longer even used by ICPS or cpphotofinder

Such heavy editing of a thread should be done only after PM'ing the OP IMHO
    Simple matter of respect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally find that Joseph's methods of obsessive nomenclature "corrections" are not helpful to the community in the least bit. There are better ways of going about this rather than pirating members posts with "[Not an accepted name.]" edits or just deciding that he is right (which he often isn't) and taking it upon himself to edit their posts for them. I feel that this passive aggressive behavior is horribly annoying and it is definitely not appreciated. Many members are also often embarrassed by this and I can see their point. It's things like this that can really suck the fun out of a hobby like this for many people. No one wants to come here, post photos of their plants while having to dread the probable intrusion of a petty tyrant. These matters are probably best discussed via pm or in the specific discussion thread BEFORE any corrections are made.

In my case, Joseph edited several posts in one of my threads with old, outdated names that he pulled from a single and seldom updated source which he seems to think is the be all, end all of carnivorous plant nomenclature, which it surely is not. He just assumed he was correct and plowed his incorrect "corrections" into my post and the replies of others. I went back and fixed what he did to my posts but his incorrect changes are still in other members contributions. For someone who often preaches about the confusion of improper nomenclature, he sure did a good job of confusing things with incorrect information in that thread.

While the CP Database he uses for his information is indeed helpful it is by no means the pinnacle of CP nomenclature. The science of taxonomy moves faster than that site does. Changes to many genera are being made almost daily and there is no way that the 1 person who updates that site can keep up with them on his own. To assume that if something is not on the CP Database, then it must be incorrect is just ignorant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I consider the corrections done in red to grab attention as showing me, I wasn't asking for a private message. When I see that, I see what was fixed, and why, and I know for next time. I don't consider this any type of disrespect as "mommy doing it for me" or saying I'm not smart enough to do it myself at all.
    Andrew
    Perhaps you don't, but I most certainly do. It comes off as passive-aggressive pedantry.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cthulhu138, I've not followed any of these threads, could you please link me to it?
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His incorrect adjustments start on page 4. I've already gone back through and re-corrected his mistakes in my posts. The incorrect edit he made in BaseDrifter's post on page 5 is still there, it should read "D.basifolia" as it did originally. There is also still one of his red edits in dionae's post on the top of page 6.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...berous-Drosera

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast