Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss: Nomenclature edits on forum posts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me try to clarify my issue with the edit of my post since I don’t think I got this across clearly before, and I did make the mistake of acting on emotion concerning someone altering my words without talking to me first without clarifying why I was upset in the post I made following the edit. It had nothing to do with a “sensitivity” issue on my part, it was merely a strong opinion about changing another persons written word without communication or permission from the author.

I did not take Joseph’s edit as a personal attack on me, I appreciated the correction and told him so in a PM, I simply took issue that there was no communication with me about it beforehand. The reason I took issue with that is because I feel strongly that nobody should have license to alter another person’s written word without permission by the author no matter what the intention is, no matter what the subject or arena. I think Joseph should PM the author about the nomenclature error and instead of altering a post simply write his own post about the correction he thinks should be made. My irritation had nothing to do with feeling personally attacked, it did not make me feel ignorant. In fact, I was embarrassed for myself for being sloppy in spelling a plant name incorrectly and leaving off the single quotes.

Ha, I am pulling 60 years of age, have raised two children (one of which mentally disabled), and have been through a lot of life-changing traumas/events that come with age…I don’t think I could have survived this long without developing a thick skin, or compassion for others, especially in the virtual world. I think Joseph’s intentions are good, it is just the way he deploys those intentions that I feel needs tweaking.

"And that is all I have to say about that..." I have plants to water.
    Last edited by DJ57; 03-07-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    If I had to PM every poster over every nomenclatural correction, I'd be an extremely busy moderator. As it is, I've just been tweaking the nomenclature as I notice it in my normal skimming through the forum.
    Woah ,that comment is really dismissive and self-absorbed. If you don't have time to respect the majority request, then maybe you should step down as a moderator and leave this job to someone else. This isn't Joseph's forum, it's terraforum. Just because you're too "busy" doesn't warrant everyone to place your needs before other people. Especially when most people object to the way you're doing it.

We've also acknowledged that moderators are humans and have a life to themselves. Which is why I proposed having other veteran and expert growers help you. But man.........
    Last edited by ps3isawesome; 03-07-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    I feel strongly that nobody should have license to alter another person’s written word without permission by the author no matter what the intention is, no matter what the subject or arena.
    Thank you, DJ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because, Joseph has already explained his points, in various threads, throughout the forums and you've already acknowledged one of my most recent on this topic, and in an encouraging way. Below this link is a quote of what you said in response to my post -> Nomenclature - it isn't that complicated

I do admit that a few CP taxon are still in dispute. New updates to some names have been published and not yet accepted by everyone. This, however, is not uncommon. Whenever someone disagrees with my nomenclatural corrections, I welcome the dialogue thus generated. It is something I'm sure many passers-by or beginners can appreciate. I know, when I was a beginner I appreciated learning about those things. It demonstrates how dynamic our international plant naming systems can be. For instance, when I first began growing CP, Darlingtonia californica was known as Chrysamphora californica. This was one of my first experiences with the dynamics of CP names.

If I had to PM every poster over every nomenclatural correction, I'd be an extremely busy moderator. As it is, I've just been tweaking the nomenclature as I notice it in my normal skimming through the forum.
    This is the only forum I've been on where correcting factual errors was a moderator responsibility. Normally moderators are there to keep things civil.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it annoying, TBH.
    Tower//Jake
    "Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling."
    http://www.thecpforum.com <--- My site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had to PM every poster over every nomenclatural correction, I'd be an extremely busy moderator.
    As ps3isawesome mentioned, perhaps this is a job then that should be divided up among the moderators, if correction of factual errors is to be designated as one of their duties. You don't necessarily need to take on the job of correcting everyone's errors by yourself - that will undoubtedly be a staggering amount of work.

I think that it is much more preferable to split up the job and do it by PM than to push it all onto you. This will avoid offending a good amount of people here, and also prevent threads from derailing as several already have.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not mean that I wouldn't do so, if that's what Andrew decides.

Though it seems I alone am presently receiving the credit for correcting nomenclature, I am not the only moderator that does so.

-------------------------------
    If Andrew chooses to run TFs like a democracy. He has every right to do so. Or, if he chose to do otherwise, that's entirely up to him. I'm a member of several other internet forums, through various of my other interests. In some of those, I'm also a moderator. I think it very progressive of Andrew that he works with the membership of TF in this way. Most other forums I'm associated with, simply delete any posts that discuss moderation, pro or con, and send warnings to members who made the posts - like mini dictatorships.

-------------------------------------
    Even if the majority of posters to this thread, have a certain opinion, that may not necessarily be indicative of the majority of TF members, or it might be.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-07-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not mean that I wouldn't do so, if that's what Andrew decides.

Though it seems I alone am presently receiving the credit for correcting nomenclature, I am not the only moderator that does so.

-------------------------------
    If Andrew chooses to run TFs like a democracy. He has every right to do so. Or, if he chose to do otherwise, that's entirely up to him. I'm a member of several other internet forums, through various of my other interests. In some of those, I'm also a moderator. I think it very progressive of Andrew that he works with the membership of TF in this way. Most other forums I'm associated with, simply delete any posts that discuss moderation, pro or con, and send warnings to members who made the posts - like mini dictatorships.

-------------------------------------
    Even if the majority of posters to this thread, have a certain opinion, that may not necessarily be indicative of the majority of TF members, or it might be.
    On an internet forum, expressing one's opinion is akin to voting. Those who don't vote don't get their voices heard in the real world, nor do those who fail to express their opinions get heard online. I contend that the opinions of those who don't express them are as meaningful as the political wishes of those who don't vote. Which is to say they are meaningless. If the opinions of members are going to be taken into account in making a decision, the only members who should be considered are those who express their opinion. The "silent majority" gets what it asks for.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast