Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Discuss: Nomenclature edits on forum posts

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    This is the only forum I've been on where correcting factual errors was a moderator responsibility. Normally moderators are there to keep things civil.
    I think this is what irks me the most, too. Many of us are members on other forums within the CP hobby and elsewhere, and I've never seen a single moderator, or even a group of them, take it upon themselves to dig through other people's posts and "correct" errors. It's simply intrusive and rude. A reply or PM (with sufficient documentation) is all that is needed if the correction is warranted.

I understand the forum wants to set a good example by keeping nomenclature up to date, but it's already been proven that isn't even the case in some recent instances. And honestly, how constructive is all the pedantry? I've seen the argument that it creates confusion for other people in the hobby, particularly those just starting out. I guess I understand that...but If I'm a new person looking for some help, the last thing I care about is a flippin' misplaced quotation mark.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, comments were of no use and i deleted
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 03-07-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah heck, why not.....

[the accepted name is actually H. tatei f. parva]

When such an edit is made it appears as though the majority of sources are in agreement.
    This can not be further from the truth. In this case at least, it is outdated and incorrect.

In my thread the name in question was how it is used by ICPS, by CPN, by cphotofinder,
    by international organizations, by published reference books , etc
    DNA evidence even showed that the "corrected" name was in fact incorrect all along
    I just don't see in what world this makes sense...
    Just what makes the one database more correct than ICPS, CPN, Wistuba, McPherson, DNA evidence, etc

someone explain this to me please, I'm missing something....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Most other forums I'm associated with, simply delete any posts that discuss moderation, pro or con, and send warnings to members who made the posts - like mini dictatorships.
    I would be remiss if I did not point out that in the past 24 hours, two of my posts were deleted wholesale - posts in which I politely but firmly took sides with Djoni and echoed her displeasure. One of those posts had no less than five other forum members add their "thanks" to it as an apparent sign of their approval. But of course - I cannot prove any of that since the posts were deleted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like it and it just causes problems.

Its petty and ridiculous. Who seriously doesnt know what a sarr is on a CP forum lol!?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Private messaging a user before a mod edits a post is just ridiculous, I am honestly shocked how many people suggested such a thing. You want your PM box to fill up faster or what?

Publicly editing the posts using moderator powers and changing user's words is obviously deeply offensive to many.

Publicly posting your thoughts and corrections (moderator or otherwise) in a separate post within that thread almost always leads to lengthy and informed taxonomical debate.

Leaving incorrect nomenclature confuses people that are new to the hobby and makes us look like filthy casuals (I am [as filthy as it gets]).

It confounds matters worse - Joseph - when you have edited somebody's thread (perhaps a very respected and knowledgeable grower) and you aren't actually even correct! Or you are taking some fantastical hardline stance towards unregistered hybrid names that have been in use for many decades. These are the sorts of things that really get people upset, and it doesn't even speak to the fluidity of this hobby that you yourself just mentioned. This is why it would be much better to leave it to its own separate post where it can be totally yours and others can chime into the debate without already feeling that they were violated.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post

I think it very progressive of Andrew that he works with the membership of TF in this way. Most other forums I'm associated with, simply delete any posts that discuss moderation, pro or con, and send warnings to members who made the posts - like mini dictatorships.
    This is the most important thing to remember. I see a lot of people talking about their rights as humans and getting all worked up over this. Have you forgotten where you are? This is the internet. We use fake internet handles in place of our actual names so that we don't have to own up to the things we say. We can lead dual lives where we are someone completely different than who we actually are! Ironically Joseph is one of the only people on this whole forum who goes by his actual name and then has to own up to things he's done personally.

It's been said many times that these sorts of issues can create an unwelcoming atmosphere that inhibits other members from joining, contributing or speaking up. The sentiment continues that perhaps even people that are already posting will feel the need to stop posting here or leave the forum altogether. I would like to remind those of this train of thought that it is rarely a moderator or administrator's actions that create an atmosphere of unwelcomeness - it is the actions of other user's. I have watched more people leave this site, take breaks of activity, or be generally discouraged from using Terraforums because of the behavior and attitudes of other members than I have because of any moderator's actions. So next time some of you are ready to start a lynch-mob over Joseph's editing, take a look at yourself and ask yourself - am I being pedantic, oppressive, and unfriendly to noobs?

TL;DR

Nothing should change - every generation of TF user should have to suffer through Joseph's invasive editing - it's like a rite of passage.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Private messaging a user before a mod edits a post is just ridiculous, I am honestly shocked how many people suggested such a thing. You want your PM box to fill up faster or what?

Publicly editing the posts using moderator powers and changing user's words is obviously deeply offensive to many.

Publicly posting your thoughts and corrections (moderator or otherwise) in a separate post within that thread almost always leads to lengthy and informed taxonomical debate.

Leaving incorrect nomenclature confuses people that are new to the hobby and makes us look like filthy casuals (I am [as filthy as it gets]).

It confounds matters worse - Joseph - when you have edited somebody's thread (perhaps a very respected and knowledgeable grower) and you aren't actually even correct! Or you are taking some fantastical hardline stance towards unregistered hybrid names that have been in use for many decades. These are the sorts of things that really get people upset, and it doesn't even speak to the fluidity of this hobby that you yourself just mentioned. This is why it would be much better to leave it to its own separate post where it can be totally yours and others can chime into the debate without already feeling that they were violated.

This is the most important thing to remember. I see a lot of people talking about their rights as humans and getting all worked up over this. Have you forgotten where you are? This is the internet. We use fake internet handles in place of our actual names so that we don't have to own up to the things we say. We can lead dual lives where we are someone completely different than who we actually are! Ironically Joseph is one of the only people on this whole forum who goes by his actual name and then has to own up to things he's done personally.

It's been said many times that these sorts of issues can create an unwelcoming atmosphere that inhibits other members from joining, contributing or speaking up. The sentiment continues that perhaps even people that are already posting will feel the need to stop posting here or leave the forum altogether. I would like to remind those of this train of thought that it is rarely a moderator or administrator's actions that create an atmosphere of unwelcomeness - it is the actions of other user's. I have watched more people leave this site, take breaks of activity, or be generally discouraged from using Terraforums because of the behavior and attitudes of other members than I have because of any moderator's actions. So next time some of you are ready to start a lynch-mob over Joseph's editing, take a look at yourself and ask yourself - am I being pedantic, oppressive, and unfriendly to noobs?

TL;DR

Nothing should change - every generation of TF user should have to suffer through Joseph's invasive editing - it's like a rite of passage.
    Hey, did someone remember to bring the rope?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Hey, did someone remember to bring the rope?
    I've already attempted to start this one up too many times before. I'm done trying to lynch Joseph, it's been years. I just re-edit my post if I don't like his changes.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast