Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Discuss: Nomenclature edits on forum posts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible for the notification of a change that was made to be invisible? If the change is for small things like grammar or spelling errors than maybe it would be best to have the edit tag be invisible so it doesn't look like the person was corrected.

Edit:
    I think the best way to go about this is to just edit the post for tiny errors that have nothing to do with the nomenclature itself. That means no reason stated at the bottom.

For larger adjustments: a PM or respectful post in the thread would be appropriate IMO.
    Last edited by Heli; 03-07-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Paul, I believe you were advocating for private contact about corrections?

Luca, I can set the edit as invisible.... If people could agree that small edits like that are fine, it's fine by me. Maybe we'll run a poll on this....
    Last edited by adnedarn; 03-07-2015 at 05:10 PM.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help but think that many cannot remember how it was when they were newbies
    The idea that somehow newbies will be hopelessly lost and confused is insulting. I'm by no means an experienced grower, but I do consider myself to be of average intelligence. It's not rocket science to determine that "nep" refers to Nepenthes.

Anyway... Thank you, Andrew, for coming up with a reasonable solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that careless typos can and maybe should be edited, e.g, if someone types Dorsera instead of Drosera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making minor corrections in spelling and punctuation in a seamless manner shouldn't offend anyone. It's nothing more than a glorified spell check.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anramitaco View Post
    The idea that somehow newbies will be hopelessly lost and confused is insulting. I'm by no means an experienced grower, but I do consider myself to be of average intelligence. It's not rocket science to determine that "nep" refers to Nepenthes.

I don't think he was talking about they would be lost... I think he is talking about them absorbing and then passing on incorrect writing when it would be so easy for us to have it written properly there for them to learn.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Paul, I believe you were advocating for private contact about corrections?
    I was - but its been made abundantly clear that such a level of involvement would be tedious for admin and slow things down excessively, which I would not wish to impose on anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anramitaco View Post

Perhaps it is insulting, if that were what I meant. Andrew understood my meaning.

But do consider that, when I was a newbie to CP, that was in about 1968, and I was between eleven and twelve years old. I was already involved with organic vegetable gardening, and was learning about orchids at my local chapter of the American Orchid Society. One night, while waiting for my ride, after an orchid society meeting, I killed some time perusing the garden center of a nearby hardware store. While there I discovered Dionaea muscipula in a sales display. At the time, it was the first CP I had ever been exposed to. I bought the rhizomes, then wrote to the company that had produced them. It wasn't until I received their reply, which mentioned other CP species they had available, that I even had a clue that other CP existed. My CP world grew quickly, after that. I wouldn't say I became hopelessly lost, but I did have various difficulties through the years, deciphering non-standard CP names, and more than one typo has led me to initially learn some names incorrectly.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-07-2015 at 06:07 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast