Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss: Nomenclature edits on forum posts

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Post Discuss: Nomenclature edits on forum posts

Hello everyone! First off... This will be a respectful discussion, there will not be personal attacks or in general childish behavior, period.

I would like to open the discussion of moderator nomenclature edits within the posts of TerraForums. I can't quite understand the disagreement of a group of people here that seem to have an issue with the editing of their posts for proper name use. Sure, these forums are fairly casual but I think we should all aim for correctness whenever possible. Using proper names and name form seems to be a no brainer. Many of us have gotten plants from others with some strange writing on the tag wondering what it all means, heck we probably even passed that same tag information forward when we gave away or traded off that plant which of course is never a good plan and only causes more future problems. If it's so easy to use proper spelling and such for the names, why not do it? And if we are too lazy to write it out or simply don't know don't know the proper method, why not be willing to accept the help of others that are willing to help you with it. Once you know it, you can easily start using that information in your own posts and most importantly fix your labels!

I think it is important that we remember that many people browse through these forums without an account, not only yesterday and today... but hopefully many years in the future. It could only be helpful to have as much of the information here correct as possible and it is a resource for information, including the proper names of plants. I admit I'm not as perfect on nomenclature as I should be, and I more often than I would like to admit, don't write out the names exactly correct... But I also have zero problem with someone showing me the proper way to do it. I've been pointed a few times to my store for things that were not correct, and I appreciate every single one of them. And to be honest, Joseph is who I asked way back when I first opened my store to please look it over and see if he saw any errors. Speaking of Joseph, back before his absence he did this same kind of work and I only recall appreciation for all the extra time he put in to make sure the names on the forum were correct, or at least keep the discussion of nomenclature active.

Some examples of this work: Writing plant names- revisted 2011 (posted 1-11-2011)

And even this one, from 12-17-2002!! If I recall correctly this forum was created back in 2001 by the way.
    Names! what's in a name?

I'm not sure if people think these are personal attacks since they don't remember them being done before (or maybe you weren't active back when Joseph was before... Previously known as Pinguiculaman BTW if that rings a bell). I can see how not seeing these edits, to all the sudden seeing the edits may make it seem like you are being singled out, but even before Joseph came back recently (It's nice to be back Not a Number was doing some of this work as well.

Anyway! What I want to cover here is:
    If you do or don't like these edits, why?
    Have discussion of why proper name use is so important.

I aim to find a universal way that corrections can be made so that the correct information is posted/on the forum. I guess it might be since they could look like a public scolding of sorts so maybe make it so it can't be seen that moderator edits have been done? etc....

Thanks as always!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any issue with having mistakes like that corrected, but the way it is being done is completely wrong. Sending a pm asking the OP to change their post is entirely sufficient. Its one thing to bulldoze someone's post with corrections, but its even worse when the corrections being made are sometimes antiquated or just wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that there wouldn't really be a problem with moderators maintaining correct nomenclature usage (to a reasonable extent) if not for two problems.

The first is simply that some of the edits have been pointed out as incorrect, probably based on outdated information.

The second is that most people here are competent adults and are independent enough to edit their own posts if informed of the error. Jumping in and directly editing someone's post is rather demeaning when the same correction could be achieved from a simple PM because it not only shouts out the errors, but is taken as implying that the author is not competent to edit his or her own post for nomenclature corrections. It is as if you boarded a plane, and the fight attendants came around to put your seatbelt on you and stash your baggage instead of telling you and letting you do it yourself.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that using proper nomenclature is important, its just the way he goes about correcting them that I disagree with.
    If he just pmed the op suggesting the corrections, I think ppl would be a lot more appreciative then when he just jumps in and edits THIER threads without saying anything first.

Also, that would give room for error on his part too, rather then just editing someone's post with incorrect information.

That's just my 2 cents.

Thanks for asking Andy
    Travis

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the background on this thread, but I'm going to jump in and give a thought:

Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    Sending a pm asking the OP to change their post . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    . . . correction could be achieved from a simple PM . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by tje25 View Post
    If he just pmed the op suggesting . . .
    What if the person made their flawed post and did not return for 6 months? What if they never came on the forum again? Then a PM would be pointless and the change would never be made.

Just a thought to twist you a little.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I admit I'm not as perfect on nomenclature as I should be, and I more often than I would like to admit, don't write out the names exactly correct... But I also have zero problem with someone showing me the proper way to do it.

Andrew
    Therein lies the distinction, and its a significant one: we are capable adults and all we ask is that we be asked to submit corrections to posts we make, not have someone come in and edit our content without consent. Joseph is NOT showing people how to correct their submissions - he is doing it for them. We don't need the Nomenclature Police - we just need a discreet private communication offering suggestions for greater accuracy and correctness. If a moderator steps in and makes corrections on another member's behalf, it says "you aren't intelligent enough to make these corrections yourself, so Mommy is going to do it for you." No thank you. We deserve a bit more respect than that.

Whats next? Are you going to send the Chat Police into the chatbox now as well, to correct everyone when they abbreviate genera to "Sarrs" and "Neps"??!

Thank you Andrew, for having the courage to open up a discussion about this. I know I'm not the only one who has found this editing practice to be abrasive and annoying.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acro View Post
    I don't know the background on this thread, but I'm going to jump in and give a thought:

What if the person made their flawed post and did not return for 6 months? What if they never came on the forum again? Then a PM would be pointless and the change would never be made.

Just a thought to twist you a little.

Even more likely than that, the extra effort of the moderator doing that job comes to mind. And the possibility that some people just won't care enough to do the work and make the change so the post goes unmodified by anyone. Too much of that and those willing to put in the extra work may lose interest. Or maybe even the mod then comes across the post again, not sure if they had already addressed that one either sends another message to the user (who possibly gets upset about being messaged twice) or at least is more wasted volunteer time by that moderator.
    Last edited by adnedarn; 03-06-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Added quote that I replied to
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I consider the corrections done in red to grab attention as showing me, I wasn't asking for a private message. When I see that, I see what was fixed, and why, and I know for next time. I don't consider this any type of disrespect as "mommy doing it for me" or saying I'm not smart enough to do it myself at all.

No, the chatbox is clearly very very informal and in no way hangs around as informational to the public... You even have to be registered and logged in to see it. Working to make sure things written there correctly clearly has no benefit to anyone.
    Andrew
    -Andrew

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast