Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question on various species Pot Dimensions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on various species Pot Dimensions

Hi all, I was active on these forums a long time ago but I just recently rejoined. I had a few questions for you about pot sizes for certain plants. I know that VFTs need a pot depth of 6in+ because their roots grow straight down but I also want to find out the depths/dimensions of pots needed for the following species to reach their full potential in size. This is in regards to full size mature plants. thank you for your time.

Saracennia: S minor Okefenokee, S. Danas Delight, S Judith Hindle

Drosera: Capensis, Filiformis Florida Giant, Marstons Dragon, Spatulata

Pinguicula: Moranensis J

Nepenthes" Ventrata x Alata

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The capensis and spatulata would likely be fine in 4" pots for a while. If Marston Dragons are like others related to binata then they can get fairly robust roots and might appreciate more depth. Plus, they get quite large anyways.

Mexican Pings have notoriously shallow roots. They don't need much.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for the response!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. capensis tends to grow fairly extensive, thick roots as well. It doesn't care too much whether you put it in a smaller or larger pot, but in smaller pots it usually grows roots out of the drainage holes, then grows plantlets from the roots and you soon have a carpet of capensis.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put the Sarracenia in a 6+ inch pot, eventually they may prefer larger pots, but only if they aren't divided

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you live in the Great White North, or are in a situation where it just isn't possible, you'd do better to keep the Sarrs, VFTs and hardy Dews in half barrels, or better yet in the ground. Less work! Fwiw I had a typical VFT and numerous Sarrs survive last winter in a completely unprotected half barrel. I live just outside of Philadelphia, zone 6B, and our winter was the coldest in living memory. S. rubra wasn't happy, and S. leucophylla REALLY wasn't happy, but both recovered, and are now in the ground. Purps, a flava cross, VFTs and Dews all never missed a beat.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    D. capensis tends to grow fairly extensive, thick roots as well. It doesn't care too much whether you put it in a smaller or larger pot, but in smaller pots it usually grows roots out of the drainage holes, then grows plantlets from the roots and you soon have a carpet of capensis.
    I can vouch for that. I just cleaned the water tray for my capensis today and got a bit of a surprise... There was just a tiny little nub sticking out of the bottom of the pot a year ago when I got it and it turns out this has been hiding under all the algae.