What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Nepenthes for begginer?

I have been posting on here a lot looking for a good plant that fits my needs. I am looking for an easy to grow plant. Something i can put in a windowsill, that does not need very high humidity and is forgiving. I do not care that much about size but a smaller one is better than a bigger one. I want it to look nice and work for me. Hope someone can help. Thank

Nick

N. Ventrata? It will eventually get larger just not as large as Miranda

Nepenthes maxima and especially it's hybrids are also always great beginner plants.

Nepenthes maxima and especially it's hybrids are also always great beginner plants.

I like how that plant looks a lot. I also like N. Ventricosa. Is this good for beginners or not really? Thanks for all the help

N. ventricosa is quite resilient and makes for a good beginner's plant.

N. ventricosa is quite resilient and makes for a good beginner's plant.

About how big do they get? And they will be okay inside near a window?
Thanks so much

N. ventricosa will survive and pitcher by a window, but without decent humidity and some kind of temperature differential at night, it won't grow larger. (As an experiment, I kept an extra ventricosa on a sunny south-facing windowsill; 3 years later, it's still the same size as when I put it there. When I moved it into my terrarium, it took off like a rocket.) N. maxima hybrids and even N. x miranda have difficulty pitchering in low humidity (less than 40-50%), though they may adapt somewhat if given enough time to adjust. I would go with a ventrata, it'll at least pitcher consistently even with low humidity. If you don't have decent humidity in your growing area, there's no need to worry about how big a nep will get, it'll take years if it grows at all.

I'm having luck with Nepenthes maxima 'mini'. :D

N. sanguinea does not get very large, and is easy to grow on windowsills.

N. sanguinea does not get very large, and is easy to grow on windowsills.

N.sanguinea gets huge actually, and fast. It is however another very easy beginner plant.

Nearly all easy-to-grow Nepenthes are plants that will eventually get large. N. ventricosa and x "ventrata" will stay moderately compact for a while, but nearly all have the capacity to exceed 10 feet or more in length. The only truly small plants tend to be highlanders or difficult lowlanders, though some hybrids with these may be good choices.
Humidity is an entirely different factor. Again, the easiest plants in this case will eventually get big.

N. ventricosa is an all around excellent first Nepenthes to grow.

Nepenthes maxima "Miniature Form" is up for auction right now on this website! Just so ya know. ;)

Thanks for all the input! So far im liking Nepenthes maxima "mini" and Nepenthes Ventricosa the most. Out of these two options what will be best as an inside house plant? Thank you all so much

Thanks for all the input! So far im liking Nepenthes maxima "mini" and Nepenthes Ventricosa the most. Out of these two options what will be best as an inside house plant? Thank you all so much

They are both easily acclimated to indoor growing conditions, so it really boils down to whichever one appeals to you most.

Take a look at one of those "Lady Luck" hybrids out there (Amp x Ventricosa), Native Exotics has a whole bunch. If not, maxima hybrids have always been the most resilient for me!

Free ones.

Back