What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 NASC Items Show us what you got!

I thought it might be nice to collect everyone's pics of what they got all in one post.

I'll start with mine

Thanks to Randy for your NASC donation, this nice instant collection of Begonias.

I've never tried Begonias from seed so these two will be a first.

Have a look at all these, couldn't even fit them all in one pic:

11051901_1650790925155582_3201255793991481026_n.jpg

13690_1650790951822246_5798191122411745657_n.jpg

Hey, I'm also going to swoop on in here and remind everybody: Please indicate in the auction thread when you receive your item! That way the other mods and I know when an auction is OK to close out or whether we need to contact one or both parties.

Thanks so much everybody for your support! :)

Great thread idea, epic load of Begonias. Do you have Begonia fuschioides?

This was an auction that ended surprisingly low, and kulamauiman sent really nice extras as well. Amazing. Thanks!

3 Nepenthes maxima rooted cuttings, + extras: N. ventrata, N. 'Gentle".

Score!!

Dexenthes, curious, are you looking for Begonia fuchsioides? I've never figured out the names of the various varieties and/or closely related species. My mom has one that's a smaller plant, with pink flowers, the whole plant graceful and kind of drooping. She was sold that as B. fuchsioides. I believe that's the one that grows in SF all over the place--I've even seen it as a hedge. I've been told by some that the correct name for that is actually B. foliosa var. foliosa. I have one that I got from Carlos Rendon (our vine guru) which he gave me as a cutting of an 8 ft , huge plant, "climbing" his fence. That one has bigger flowers, very striking, very, very red. I really like it. He insists the correct name for that is B. foliosa var. miniata. I assume he's right. Anyway, I have access to both, although my plant of the red one is small still. It needs a sunnier spot than where I have it.

Last edited:
Dex, yeah it's an instant collection!

No I have never had or seen Begonia fuschioides in person. I've had Begonia boliviensis AKA "Bonfire Begonia" which is a really nice one with long drooping / arching stems and a rather continuous show of blazing orange flowers.

Last edited:
Dexenthes, curious, are you looking for Begonia fuchsioides? I've never figured out the names of the various varieties and/or closely related species. My mom has one that's a smaller plant, with pink flowers, the whole plant graceful and kind of drooping. She was sold that as B. fuchsioides. I believe that's the one that grows in SF all over the place--I've even seen it as a hedge. I've been told by some that the correct name for that is actually B. foliosa var. foliosa. I have one that I got from Carlos Rendon (our vine guru) which he gave me as a cutting of an 8 ft , huge plant, "climbing" his fence. That one has bigger flowers, very striking, very, very red. I really like it. He insists the correct name for that is B. foliosa var. miniata. I assume he's right. Anyway, I have access to both, although my plant of the red one is small still. It needs a sunnier spot than where I have it.

Nice! No, I was just wondering because I have a plant that was labeled Begonia fuschioides, and I have a few rooted cuttings going so I was thinking about offering them up soon. Though it seems like there is some contestment over what the species actually is. . .

Dexenthes,

Does yours have white, pink, or red flowers?

I'll email you the detailed response that I just wrote, and post the question to the Begonia Facebook group. I don't mean to clutter up what should be a fun thread with nonsense about naming.

IMG_1334.JPG

Gonna dust off this thread to share the pitcher on one of my prizes.

Back