Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phyto Gas Chamber

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phyto Gas Chamber

Oh my... What kind of trouble can I get into here??

After scavenging, it is now known that a spare glass bottle can
    be used for sending messages on the high seas without water intrusion.
    However, It also makes a great CO2 Injector tool.

An upgrade is made in technology, and added to the second Insectivorous Phytochamber.

Let the plant bath begin.

The gas chamber in full effect.

I forgot to Uncap my Minibog, so Ill break the hotbox and finish off the last lump of the CO2 Ore.
    (It was an experiment to see how long it would take unchopped sphagnum to start growing.)

Both chambers are locked down for the next 5 hours.

The secondary plant chamber has various plants, including
    sarracenia seedings, nepenthes seedlings, 1 midsized nepenthes, many gemmae,
    various pygmy dews, a fern, and a spider plant.

Any questions/objections?
    Last edited by NemJones; 04-24-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having not looked into this subject, how much of a change/improvement do you expect to see in the plants?

Second thought: How's the ventilation in the rooms housing your chambers?
    Last edited by Stranger; 04-24-2015 at 02:06 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good ventilation, however the chambers are *almost* completely stangant/nonmoving air.

I dont really exptect to see to much of any change, But I occasionally like to bathe them in co2
    To see if anything happens. If not that, its good for them atleast.
    From my understanding, the mlre light you give with co2, the more growth you will have
    (Potentially)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feast or famine isn't the best way to supplement CO2. Your chamber would likely be better for killing pests on the plants than increasing growth. Better to maintain an elevated level over the course of time the plant is actually using CO2 which varies day to night depending upon the type of photosythesis a given plant uses. However CO2 supplementation only works to increase growth when CO2 is the limiting factor on a plant's growth. All the CO2 in the world won't increase growth on a plant that doesn't get enough iron, or nitrogen or light or whatever.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 04-24-2015 at 05:37 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Your chamber would likely be better for killing pests on the plants than increasing growth.
    I used this method on a tank of Utrics to eliminate some tiny aphids. A year later, I used it again on a D. regia with aphids (received in a trade from a TF member) - didn't work. Based on posts in Dart Frog forums, this approach also doesn't work on mites.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I used this method on a tank of Utrics to eliminate some tiny aphids. A year later, I used it again on a D. regia with aphids (received in a trade from a TF member) - didn't work. Based on posts in Dart Frog forums, this approach also doesn't work on mites.
    None of the pests you mentioned can live without oxygen. Properly done CO2 will completely displace all the air. Maintain that condition long enough and all active pests will die. A second treatment can be required because eggs can survive, and you have to retreat after they hatch, but before they develop to the point they lay their own eggs.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really thought about using that method on pests.
    Ill have to try that next time theres an infestation. Do you think it would work on mealy bugs or scale?
    Last edited by NemJones; 04-24-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Feast or famine isn't the best way to supplement CO2. Your chamber would likely be better for killing pests on the plants than increasing growth. Better to maintain an elevated level over the course of time the plant is actually using CO2 which varies day to night depending upon the type of photosythesis a given plant uses. However CO2 supplementation only works to increase growth when CO2 is the limiting factor on a plant's growth. All the CO2 in the world won't increase growth on a plant that doesn't get enough iron, or nitrogen or light or whatever.
    You are 100% correct: Liebig's Law of the Minimum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast