Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sphagnum moss and peat bogs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or peat powered power stations , its used in bricks and burned to heat homes as well , I think the horticulture industry uses quite a small amount compared to these two. My bag of peat lasted a few years and I bet thats a couple ot nights worth on an open fire. Not saying it's a bad idea to try and be green and of course every little helps but its probably insignificant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently made an alarming discovery - all the MiracleGro potting brand mixes that many horticulturalists (and myself) have been buying for years are comprised mainly of sphagnum peat moss (probably harvested insubstantially), while compost would serve as an easy and better alternative. What really irritates me is that companies like this create a huge hype about their "secrete formulas" growing gigantic, healthy plants when all they do is add tons of fertilizers and other trash to perfectly fine peat moss. I can't even use the stuff for carnivorous plants, and most gardeners end up throwing it away every year, since it gets too compacted and acidic for traditional garden plants.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several threads on this subject. Hit the -search- function on this website and check them out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12