Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sphagnum moss and peat bogs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sphagnum moss and peat bogs

Hi everyone.
    The last couple of days i've been studying (I'm currently finishing my Biology career) and I've realized I'm using a non renewable resource to cultivate plants and i'm helping to destroy the habitat for the same plants i'm cultivating. What the hell? I mean, it's terrible.
    But I have no idea what other type of soil could be use..
    Is anyone of you having the same dilema?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The renewability of sphagnum bogs is an arguable topic.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the species of plant, many growers have experimented with alternative substrates that are less heavy on the sphagnum peat.

But yeah, it is a sticky subject. The mass peat processing facilities in Siberia are not pretty whatsoever. I am lucky enough to live in an area with plentiful sphagnum bogs. I was able to collect a bucket of fresh peat the other day with little or no impact on the overall bog. . .
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this for a few answers

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=49981

Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sghagnum moss is easy, just grow your own. I produce enough for my needs every year without much effort, and even have enough left over to use some of it to ship the more delicate plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really good idea - as another plus live sphagnum is better for many plants than the dried lfs you buy at the store.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live sphagnum is not so much the issue as sphagnum peat moss is, due to its slow production rate. But, the biggest issue with collection of peat is not CP growers, but those who use it en masse in potting soils and similar products.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Live sphagnum is not so much the issue as sphagnum peat moss is, due to its slow production rate. But, the biggest issue with collection of peat is not CP growers, but those who use it en masse in potting soils and similar products.
    Yes this. Carnivorous plant cultivation makes up a very small percentage of total peat use since it is mainly marketed to acidify soil and improve moisture retention. It also depends on where you buy from. As far as I'm aware, New Zealand LFS is harvested sustainably and I believe Canadian peat is as well. Chilean products definitely aren't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast