Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: overwintering

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe there's a greenhouse that keeps their plants at 40 F for the winter that has some space rent out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermontscott View Post
    Sad to say my collection of Sarracenia species, dionaea and drosera were wiped out by the cold this past winter here in Vermont. The previous year I only lost one plant, this past year I think only 2 plants out of about 25 pulled through. I kept them high on a shelf in my attached but unheated garage, in the containers that they had been in last year. I made sure they had water in the trays but it was ice for a lot of the time. I don't know that I want to invest the time and effort is rebuilding the collection if I can't get it to survive through the winter. Has anyone had luck with uprooting the plants, wrapping the roots in sphagnum and storing them in a refrigerator for the winter and then replanting them in the spring? It seem drastic but so is having a collection wiped out.

I think one of my Sarracenia purpurea, purpurea made it, which makes sense and I noticed a couple of small dionea traps from one plant pushing up through the ground. Other than that not much growing except nice green sphagnum moss but I am hoping for some Drosera intermedia and/or rotundifolia seedlings.

Scott
    Scott,

I live near Littleton, NH. As with you, I suffered some pretty heavy losses this year. It gets a heck of a lot colder than most of these guys experience. This coming winter, I'm going to try the fridge method, except with the natives, which I'll leave outside, buried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the fridge space, you can wrap up the plants pot and all..
    if space is more limited, removing the rhizomes from the pot and wrapping them in some damp spagnum,
    then putting them in zip-lock sandwich bags, also works..I have a few "demos" about it,
    here:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco.../CP/page2.html

and here:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco...CP/page5c.html

The basement stairwell is basically the exact same procedure as "the fridge method", just using the stairwell
    instead of an actual fridge..otherwise the procedure is identical.

21 years in a row now using this method..works great!

Scot
    Last edited by scottychaos; 05-19-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input. I've got several Saracenia species on the way so I'll need to figure out something come winter. The weird thing is my S. purpurea purpurea didn't make it but the venosa did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12