What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

San Francisco trip upcoming.

Hi everybody, my wife and I are taking an 8 day trip to San Francisco at the very end of June/early august. I know there are a lot of members from the area, so I've come to ask what recommendations we could get for activities while we're there. Thus far all we have planned is a baseball game.

As a little bit of background I've never seen the ocean and I've never been to a city larger than Albuquerque in my adulthood. We love gardens, museums, food, drink, being exposed to new cultures, et cetera.

Any advice on traveling around the city would be great. I'm not sure we're going to have access to a car, but I hear public transportation is phenomenal in the area.

Thanks!

I'd easily recommend North Beach, the Italian neighborhood in SF; take in Puccini's and Cafe Trieste, for informal meals and some of the best espresso and coffee drinks in the city (avoid tourist traps with mediocre food and high prices like Calzone's, etc); Chinatown is just adjacent; take a walk on Crissey Field, along the waterfront, with views of the Golden Gate and Alcatraz Island. Ocean Beach, in the Sunset a district, offers miles of open sand and views -- weather permitting -- of the Farallon Islands.

The Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park is worth seeing, for the creepy plants; so too the CA Academy of Sciences within walking distance; and the DeYoung Museum -- all in the same place . . .

If a car is in the picture, take a trek down to Half Moon Bay or Pacifica, just south.

I definitely recommend Golden Gate Park & Chinatown. ^ Also take Beach St. down to the Bay Aquarium. On your way stop by one of the many great restaurants. I don't know about you but I'm in seafood heaven down there. Take a ride on the old trolley while you're at it. Definitely walk around Fisherman's Warf area & you'll have to stop by PIER 39! Everything you can imagine all stuffed on a giant pier. It was usually packed when I would go. I would always get some delicious type of seafood soup in a breadbowl. Not everyone likes clam chowder but many people have never had it fresh NOT canned :grin: Theres also shopping & entertainment on the pier... I usually take the time to buy seed & sardines from a guy up there to feed the birds & sea lions. Just remember to be open minded, try new things, smile, & have fun!

Last edited:
Back