User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setup for a single bulb growlight?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setup for a single bulb growlight?

So basically I noticed the tree in our front yard grew leaves and is now casting a shadow on my window during the evening which kinda deprives my plants of some light, so I picked up a cheap 40 watt CFL bulb for supplemental light (2800 lumens, 6500k) and I currently have it setup as such:

So it shines down on the Nepenthes below. However this is really bad and inneficient and Im also concerned about the bulb being in a high humidity space, so I was wondering if there was a better way to go about placing this thing to ensure not much of its light is wasted and that its being spread around to as many plants as possible?

Also is the high humidity an issue? If so Im just going to put it ouside of the tent and shine it onto one rack.

Thanks for any responses!
    Last edited by Sashoke; 06-22-2015 at 04:31 PM.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't noticed any issues with lighting in high humidity, my light bulbs stick directly into my terrarium and don't cause issues. I also know that several experienced growers use bare CFL bulbs in their greenhouses without any problems. However, I keep my terrarium clear of condensation, so I don't know how that would effect the electrical components of the light. If you do keep the light inside, you'll want to make sure that no water drips down the cable and into the outlet, that would cause unpleasant issues. As for lighting efficiency, I would move the light closer to the plants, since lumen output decreases exponentially as distance increases. Make sure the heat from the bulb doesn't burn the plants, though. Putting the light on the same rack as the plants and arranging them in a kind of cluster close to the bulb might be helpful.
    Last edited by SerMuncherIV; 06-22-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this bulb started smelling like burnt plastic, its been removed and is going to be disposed of tomorrow, thanks for the response SerMuncher. (This bulb was nice while it lasted :|)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask what company it was from? Some of my bulbs initially had a similar smell, then I removed them from my terrarium and used them elsewhere, and when I put them back they were fine!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SerMuncherIV View Post
    May I ask what company it was from? Some of my bulbs initially had a similar smell, then I removed them from my terrarium and used them elsewhere, and when I put them back they were fine!
    Feit Electrics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the company I got mine from, and they're doing fine now. Don't toss the bulb yet, use it somewhere else and see if the issue resolves itself!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, Ill try turning it on outside in a different lamp and leave it on for awhile (Outside so Im not dying from mercury vapors D: ) Ill see if it still smells.
    Last edited by Sashoke; 06-22-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey that seems to have fixed it! I swapped lamps then put it back into the,original after running it for about an hour and it no longer smells of burning plastics. Thanks! Hopefully itll last.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast