What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some really bad news

This is absolutely horrible news, but I wanted to share it with members here in case any of you knew him. I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere or if this isn't the place to post it (moderators please move/remove it if so).

Last night I received an email from someone asking if I would be interested in helping relocate a large collection of carnivorous plants in Grants Pass (about 45 miles from where I live). The owner passed away recently and he grew all sorts of species of carnivorous plants. The person emailing me sent a video along with the email. I already suspected whose collection it might be because our little CP community isn't so large and I know most of the people in the area who grow. It was confirmed as soon as I saw the video. The collection belonged to Jerry Jackson. He was a member here under the username jrj88 and active on most other CP forums as well.

Jerry was 75, which is pretty aged, so I thought perhaps he died of some disease or natural causes. I Googled "Jerry Jackson Grants Pass obituary" and found this:
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Poli...glarizing-home-Southern-Oregon-307956801.html

I couldn't believe it! Jerry had been to my house several times to buy and trade plants and he even spent a day here one time helping me pot flytraps. I had met his wife Joann several times as well and their dogs. Both were very kind people and certainly not deserving of a violent end to their lives such as this. It's an outrage that someone should lose their lives in that way. I'm angered and sad and in disbelief.

aw man. that blows. nice guy. i traded plants with him. :( . Normally i am not an "eye for an eye" person but this guy needs to be slowly cut up and fed to Jerry's Plants......

Sad news, indeed, Matt . . .

I exchanged plants and cuttings with Jerry over the years; and tried to stop by on my Portland road trips. Where is Dexter and his plastic wrap when you need him? It would be all too fitting if the suspect were made into dog food . . .

Last edited:
I feel sick..

I saw this, praying for him and his family

This is very disturbing & sad news. Best wishes to their family. We must appreciate every aspect of life while we have it. Its good to see that the sick kid murderer is already in custody.

Horrible and sickening. I don't know what else to say.........

I never knew or interacted with them, but that is a horrible thing to be killed over. I hope the one who did this is punished to the furthest extent of the law.

:(
He should be charged an extra felony for the sake of the plants.

What a terrible tragedy. I hope someone names a REALLY cool cultivar in honor of him and his wife.

Last edited:
Wow that's just awful news. What a scumbag that guy is, at least they've caught him.

That's horrible. I had some correspondence with him and his propagation videos are an invaluable resource for the community if ij have anything to say about it. This news really put a damper on things.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing this info. This is a terrible tragedy. Makes me sick to my stomach.
I considered Jerry a friend and checked on him often. I got a email from him very recently inquiring about a plant. There's a special place in hell for people like the guy that did this.

Rip Jerry.

That's horrible. I had some correspondence with him and his propagation videos are an invaluable resource for the community if ij have anything to say about it. This news really put a damper on things.

Monkey, I would really like to see these videos if you are able to provide any further info. Thanks

Monkey, I would really like to see these videos if you are able to provide any further info. Thanks
Oh yeah. One of his videos is a sticky in the pitcher plants sub forum. It's titled "How I Propagate Cephalotus" you can use the watch in YouTube option and it'll lead you to his channel. His name on YouTube is jerjack something. He has other videos including heli propagation and couple with neps.

I'll post a link when i get off work

Last edited:
That is extremely shocking b/c I've seen every one of jerjacks videos even the longer ones :-(
Thanks Monkey

He & his wife will be dearly missed.

Last edited:
jerjack88 is his YouTube this is vary sad

This is truly terrible... it's a tragedy that such a well loved member of the community met such a violent end. Targeting a defenseless elderly couple makes this murderer the lowest of the low; he deserves to rot away in solitary confinement for the rest of his days.

Hopefully there will be someone to take care of his pets and his collection...

PM sent.

Jerry Jackson

This is the most difficult post I've ever had to make.
I'm sure by now, most of you have heard about the tragic loss of one of our fellow growers, my best friend, and one of the greatest people I've ever known. I hope that from the day I talked Jerry into creating an account here (jrj88) he touched as many lives as possible with his trades, plants, and friendly chats.
Until I hear back from Detective Brown, the one handling the case, this is all I know about what has happened.

Back