User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: treating sphagnum culture with peroxide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Why did you add drainage? The Humidity dome was all you needed to remove, I do wonder why you used it in the first place.

Sphagnum moss used to be used for bandaging pre-antibiotics as it acts as a natural fungicide.

http://www.magicmoss.co.nz/natures-b...xidc90653.html

Forget your chemical treatments and just grow it properly.
    I really can't stand backhanded responses like this. for one h202 is found naturally in rain, as you may know h20 = water, as the rain falls through the air it picks up an extra oxygen molecule making h202 aka hydrogen peroxide, it is NOT an artificial compound. with that said, I removed the dome and added drainage for what I thought were obvious reasons ...I see fungus, I lower water and add air circulation.. common sense really. Lastly, I am attempting to grow it right, hence the post and research . sooo.... thanks I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    Try using a spray-bottle with distilled water first. Just spray the bejeezus out of the mold until it flattens to the point where you can hardly see it. After that, and grown well, it may not come back. (Anecdotal. That's how I've dealt with minor infestations, and it's worked in the past.)

For peroxide, you could try 2 tsp. 3% peroxide solution to 1 cup of water. May or may not be enough to kill the fungus, but that ratio hasn't hurt my sphagnum. I would definitely want to be able to drain / flush that if I were going to treat very much of it, though. I've only used it on sphag that's potted along with plants, so it doesn't really have a chance to sit for long.
    very good sir thank you. went to sleep last night and it was just 1 - 2 nickel sized problem spots with fungus, wake up this morning and around 1/4 of the tray has fuzz. this is obviously something that needs treating, so thank you for providing the advice I asked for
    Last edited by adnedarn; 07-31-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: word change

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes in the past when buying store bought live sphagnum I had the same problem. I remember flushing with lots of water and that got rid of it, I put it down to excess nutrients being in the moss and once those are used or flushed out the white filament type mold went away, i read allot of commercially extracted sites are fed quite strong nutrients to get the moss growing back fast.
    After I had my own established bog containers in the garden and harvested moss from that for planting or new cultures, I never have come across the mold, only years ago when I had to buy it.

Mark
    Last edited by carnigrower01; 07-31-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thread has been pruned. Let's keep it on topic and be nice.

I would echo some of the advice given so far: Depending on your local humidity, your best bet is probably to keep the water table and lose the dome. You can flood things for a while and pretty effectively choke out the fungus. Or waiting a little bit and letting the top dry a bit will likely take care of it on its own. Good luck!
    Last edited by Est; 07-31-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for the advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that if there is a fungus or mold that correcting the cause of the issue will in turn get rid of the problem, along with the natural properties of sphagnum of course. If you do however choose to go ahead and treat with peroxide regardless keep this in mind. Peroxide is used to treat algae in planted aquariums quite often. MOST plants will respond well to the treatment, lose any algae on them and never miss a beat. Peroxide will however melt just about any aquatic moss, as well as several other plants that seem to be sensitive to it. I would use caution dosing sphagnum on any moss just based off that. If you do treat I would isolate and treat a small section first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I treat moss with peroxide almost weekly( I like to hunt for native aquatic moss), it is all about the ratio you use and how long you do it. 3% Peroxide dip has never killed any of my aquatic moss. that being said I dont doubt if I tried to soak the moss in peroxide like you do with plants it will kill the moss. for soaking moss you have to dilute the peroxide so I was curious on a ratio that has been tried and worked, As Zath stated he has treated sphagnum with peroxide and gave me a ratio to start with that didn't harm his moss.

as for the issue, it seems to be the consensus that this is common with a new culture and will either wear itself out or need to be dried or flushed if it continues which is has for me, so peroxide(to be sure I clear all the spores) and a flushing is my next step
    Last edited by Ras; 07-31-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And without fixing the cause of the problem what is to prevent the fungus/mold from returning shortly after the treatment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    flushing? I thought that was clear, fungus is feeding on something right so whatever it is needs to be flushed, I just prefer to kill the fungus first .that way I know I am not just watering the fungus. what did you have in mind as for stopping the cause?
    Last edited by Ras; 07-31-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast