User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: treating sphagnum culture with peroxide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

treating sphagnum culture with peroxide?

I was wondering if anyone has experience treating with peroxide on sphagnum specifically and if they have a ratio that worked for them. the fungus isnt overwhelming the moss but I'd like to get it under control before it does. the moss was in an undrained tray with a humidity dome on it when it grew the fungus, since I have noticed the white fungus I have added drainage and removed the humidity dome from the moss culture. any tips help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new culture of sphagnum moss usually gets this White mold type stuff, after a while it disappears. Never found it harmful for the moss or plants potted in it. Hope this helps,

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that helps alot considering this culture is maybe a week old, so that is reassuring. Ill keep an eye on it but the main question is still open, anyone with experience using hydro peroxide on sphagnum please step forward.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you add drainage? The Humidity dome was all you needed to remove, I do wonder why you used it in the first place.

Sphagnum moss used to be used for bandaging pre-antibiotics as it acts as a natural fungicide.

http://www.magicmoss.co.nz/natures-b...xidc90653.html

Forget your chemical treatments and just grow it properly.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Fred, put it back in the undrained tray without the dome, that's how I have over 7 different species of sphag growing outside, in the greenhouse's and on windowsills. Yeah no need for fungicide on sphag either.
    Happy growing

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using a spray-bottle with distilled water first. Just spray the bejeezus out of the mold until it flattens to the point where you can hardly see it. After that, and grown well, it may not come back. (Anecdotal. That's how I've dealt with minor infestations, and it's worked in the past.)

For peroxide, you could try 2 tsp. 3% peroxide solution to 1 cup of water. May or may not be enough to kill the fungus, but that ratio hasn't hurt my sphagnum. I would definitely want to be able to drain / flush that if I were going to treat very much of it, though. I've only used it on sphag that's potted along with plants, so it doesn't really have a chance to sit for long.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zath, NO

Sphagnol, a property of Sphagnum Moss, prevents mould and mildew on plants.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Zath, NO

Sphagnol, a property of Sphagnum Moss, prevents mould and mildew on plants.
    Understood. I was just trying to give him a ratio that I've used for other reasons that didn't kill any live sphagnum along with whatever I was treating. But again, I highly recommend just spraying it away with distilled water. May retard the growth of the mold long enough for the sphagnum to catch up and control any future issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast