What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a carnivorous plant that you obsess over finding in habitat?

Very beautiful flower. Looks like there's a pretty nice, dense cluster of it underwater.

We found hundreds of impending blooms. It should look great out there in another few weeks.

As mentioned in your other thread: AMAZING!

FredG: You might be indeed surprised! Lieutenant Uhura (AKA Nichelle Nichols) is now 83 years old! BTW, Lt. Uhura and Capt. Kirk are cited as the first example of an interracial kiss on U.S. television (1968).

Not in the least Bob, I watched the first series when it was originally shown. ( as an adult)

I want to find utrics growing in bromeliads!

I have a definite answer to this question: Yes, there is a plant.

The island of Socotra lies off of the coast of Yemen and is an isolated island filled with strange and bizarre species that are highly endemic in nature. A few years ago when I was studying about it online I came across an article that spoke about the various plants that grew on the island. There are some peaks on Socotra that collect a modest amount of rainfall compared to the arid low-lying portions of the island. On these mountains there is some forest that grows. In this random article that I have never been able to find ever again the author spoke of a possibly undescribed species of epiphytic Utricularia that grew in this isolated patch of forest.

I do obsess (dream) of someday hiking those peaks and finding that Utricularia.

I have a definite answer to this question: Yes, there is a plant.

The island of Socotra lies off of the coast of Yemen and is an isolated island filled with strange and bizarre species that are highly endemic in nature. A few years ago when I was studying about it online I came across an article that spoke about the various plants that grew on the island. There are some peaks on Socotra that collect a modest amount of rainfall compared to the arid low-lying portions of the island. On these mountains there is some forest that grows. In this random article that I have never been able to find ever again the author spoke of a possibly undescribed species of epiphytic Utricularia that grew in this isolated patch of forest.

I do obsess (dream) of someday hiking those peaks and finding that Utricularia.

Well Utricularia striatula grows on Socotra so it seems possible that there is another species on the island. That does sound very interesting.

Is this the plant that was found to be a misidentified Linaria ?

Well in the next month or so I will be going to northern California, where I hope to find Utricularia macrorhiza, Utricularia minor, and Utricularia ochroleuca. I've never seen wild CPs in the US before though.
Are there utrics in norcal? I'd love to go with you and find some if possible. I'm obsessed with utrics, and would love to see their native habitat. I only have one growing... actually.. kinda growing... utric. Graminifolia. I've seen other photos of other utric varieties, and I'd love to learn more about them and try to grow them.

What part of norcal were you thinking of visiting?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Are there utrics in norcal? I'd love to go with you and find some if possible. I'm obsessed with utrics, and would love to see their native habitat. I only have one growing... actually.. kinda growing... utric. Graminifolia. I've seen other photos of other utric varieties, and I'd love to learn more about them and try to grow them.

What part of norcal were you thinking of visiting?

I've heard of Utricularia macrorhiza and Utricularia minor at Butterfly Valley, and I'd also like to go to Willow Lake as well. Both locations are in Plumas County I believe.

I've heard of Utricularia macrorhiza and Utricularia minor at Butterfly Valley, and I'd also like to go to Willow Lake as well. Both locations are in Plumas County I believe.
You know, I think my local water garden nursery has one of those. Last time I went, there was this plant that had its "leaves" submerged, but branched out like these utricularias and had small yellow flowers. I might go and ask them.

FredG: You might be indeed surprised! Lieutenant Uhura (AKA Nichelle Nichols) is now 83 years old! BTW, Lt. Uhura and Capt. Kirk are cited as the first example of an interracial kiss on U.S. television (1968).

I just thought I'd let you know that we in the UK had had interracial kisses on TV 6 years before that. It was also made obvious that there was more to the relationship than kissing too.

Back