What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will it survive nepenthes talngensis x burbidgeae

f0a9471edc106fa225ee5be3b4c6dff0.jpg

Enviado desde mi SGH-M919N mediante Tapatalk

Unless the plant is clearly dead/declining, it is difficult to tell based on a picture alone. A thorough description of your conditions is necessary if you want people to diagnose if a plant will survive or not. However, that growth tip is rotting, which is a bad sign. Based on that alone, I'm going to lean to the "no" side, although some quick action might save it. You might want to start by removing the dead tissue, increasing air flow, and not keeping the plant sopping wet.

From my understanding on a different forum, you've had this plant (not a recommended choice for someone who has never grown Nepenthes before) for quite some time now (~1.5 months), and it doesn't appear that it has done anything at all except rot at the growth point. What have you been doing to it? Always, ALWAYS research to make sure that you can properly grow a plant before acquiring it.

Last edited:
Its been growing a ton and have been green and growed to new leaves really good

Enviado desde mi SGH-M919N mediante Tapatalk

I'll second everything SerMuncher has said, especially that we need to know your conditions and that it doesn't look good. Furthermore, assuming this is the one from BE, I'll say that it's been one of the more finicky species I've owned in my (admittedly limited) experience.

I must ask though, why is there what looks like a perfectly good leaf (11 o'clock) buried under the sphagnum?

That plant is in serious trouble, but the question is WHY?

It has been revealed to me in a private communication that this plant has been placed in a refrigerator at night and exposed to temperatures into the forties - probably many times. Its no surprise that this plant is failing. There's not likely anything to be done now. :-(

Ok guys ive been keeping this guy 80° in florida 90% humidity and 4 hours of light at night I keep it at 62° and 90% humidity but I went on a trip for three days and when I came back it was like this the spagnum was thriving before now its white it think it was heat that did this but like I said it was thriving but I think the heat messed it up is there any way to revive it

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Yeah it looks like heat damage to me, cold doesn't do that to sphagnum, was the plant enclosed is some kind of clear plastic box or bag?

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother. But don't give up! Try something a little easier next time! Maybe something along the lines of N. ventricosa/sanguinea/x ventrata. Or this. :-O
411C1bWhj-L._SY300_.jpg

Given where you live, you can probably keep lowlanders outside most of the time, if not all year. It's always easier to grow something suited to your area than try to create an artificial environment without significant investment in time and technology.

I would say it was left in too bright of a window sphag turns white and yellowish when it gets sunburned and i think ur plant has been badly burned.. Too much direct sunlight in high heat is sometimes worse then you'd think its baldness to me when one of the kids i kno left a plant on a sunny table for a few hours...it didn't survive. Im still holding on to it to see if it offsets but idk if it will. Goodluck

Back