Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many here also have house plants, not part of a collection

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are just too many interesting plants in the world. They've utterly consumed my life, but I can't resent them because they're just too darn cool!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just killed yet another Cacao so maybe I'm giving up on those now, but the cinnamon seems to be liking life. Others include actually a small 'collection' of variegated or variegated-looking plants including the monstera deliciosa, vanilla, rubber tree, some variegated phal mutt (although the chids and the variegated Nep alata are part of the greater chid and nep collection), alocasia amazonica, and a watermelon peperomia. A nice looking fern to shade the orchids and a couple bromeliads too, because they've got nice striping, a croton that I thought was a bell but maybe it was just pretending (*sigh*), some edibles for fun this year, and some stinging nettle just cuz . I kinda miss having begonias and wandering jew (is it still called that? is society too PC for that now?) but I've got too much as it is.

Why can't I just have liked a few lithops?

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pared down the houseplant collection a lot in the last year or so (and still more to go). Aside from carnivores, I have a couple lithops, a jade tree (hobbit jade) a random spathiphyllum, some ferns, and a handful of Hoyas and epiphyllums, though the latter struggle in my care. That's about it. Some sad orchids I'm trying to foist upon my brother. A passiflora alata that currently is outside.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think at this point my "houseplants" are a collection in and of themselves, so they probably don't count, but among others: several Aristolochia species, a handful of Passiflora, Hoya carnosa, a mystery legume from Florida, red Zygocactus, barrel cactus, organ pipe cactus, Saguaro, Stapelia gigantea, Casimiroa edulis, Manilkara zapota, a handful of Amorphophallus, Typhonium venosum, Pinellia pedatisecta, Scorpion peppers, spider plants, and probably a few other things thrown in that I'm forgetting. Many of these are featured in my Aroids, Hoya and Other Oddities thread elsewhere on the forum.

Oh, and a mystery bamboo, can't forget that one.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPB View Post
    I wish. I have a few cats that I swear are herbivores. Anything in the plant kingdom that comes in the door and is left out is quickly eaten and promptly vomited up on the carpet by the cats. I'd have a lot of indoor plants if I could
    This why all my plants are protected from the cats. Captain probably would leave the plants alone, except for knocking them over chasing a bug. But, even my Texas ebony in full spike is not safe from Morgan.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have hot pepper plants

-Carolina reaper
    -Red bhut jolokia
    -Peach bhut jolokia
    -P-38(my own hybrid)

My girlfriend grow a couple euphorbia species also

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My climate permits me to grow most succulents outside, in the ground, year-round. I didn't even know Crassula ovata was considered a houseplant, it's always used as a landscape plant around here. Plants that outgrow their space go into the yard. Several plants are doing really well since then, including Cordyline fruticosa, Yucca gigantea, Pachypodium lamerei, and several Euphorbia and Dracaena species.

Besides some aroids, Tillandsia, and orchids that I grow with the Nepenthes collection, I have a bad habit of starting tropical fruit trees from seed. I have Annona cherimoya, Coffea arabica, Dimocarpus longan, Mangifera indica, Nephelium lappaceum, and Persea americana. I'm also waiting on a handful of Garcinia mangostana seeds, but I'm not sure they're viable.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than carnivorous plants I have cacti, succulents, a few small to medium size orchids, plus a few odd plants including Tillandsia. I have little space remaining for keeping plants in the house during the winter. I started collecting plants I can permanently plant outdoors in USDA zone 5. Most of those aren't succulents, cacti, or orchids but I'm looking for succulents, cacti, or orchids I can keep outside. I'm looking for plants other than Sempervivum, Sedum, and the local Opuntia. I have a few cacti and succulents I plan to plant in a spot next to the house foundation before Fall starts.

Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BPB View Post
    I wish. I have a few cats that I swear are herbivores. Anything in the plant kingdom that comes in the door and is left out is quickly eaten and promptly vomited up on the carpet by the cats. I'd have a lot of indoor plants if I could
    This why all my plants are protected from the cats. Captain probably would leave the plants alone, except for knocking them over chasing a bug. But, even my Texas ebony in full spike is not safe from Morgan.
    I have outdoor cats. For some reason rarely one will try to nibble on a spiny cactus but usually they don't bother my plants. They seem more interested in nibbling on the grass weeds in the lawn and the catnip. However, incidents of nibbling increase when they see me giving extra attention to a plant. I have a giant Miscanthus grass that one cat likes to approach as if he's interested in nibbling but at the last second he changes his mind. I'm guessing he's put off by the size of the grass leaves. My cats like Teucrium marum, too.
    Last edited by chch; 09-08-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast