What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many here also have house plants, not part of a collection

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Just spent the strangest hour and a half. I trimmed and re-potted plants that were neither orchids or carnivorous. I mean my hands were touching actual potting soil, not "media" or sphagnum. It, it, it just didn't feel normal. What's worse, now I don't know where to put them come cold weather.
Does anyone else here have just plain house plants? Mine used to live in my office come cool weather but I am looking to change jobs after my neck surgery and have brought them home. The only cat safe area they might have gone in is now taken up during the winter by the cymbidiums.

Last edited:
Lol, I'm getting a small collection of random houseplants, though they're leaning towards succulents. It's by no means a "collection" in the sense that I intend on getting all kinds. Just something to spruce the house up a bit, since all my carnivores are either outside or in terrariums.

My money-tree (pachira aquatica) is coming quite a ways since I got it, putting out some big, lush leaves. I've also taken a few pullings from my grandmother's jade plant in the hopes of getting a couple more.

Next year, I'd like to get some mimosa pudica for the living room, and maybe a fern or something. XD

Lol, I'm getting a small collection of random houseplants, though they're leaning towards succulents. It's by no means a "collection" in the sense that I intend on getting all kinds. Just something to spruce the house up a bit, since all my carnivores are either outside or in terrariums.

My money-tree (pachira aquatica) is coming quite a ways since I got it, putting out some big, lush leaves. I've also taken a few pullings from my grandmother's jade plant in the hopes of getting a couple more.

Next year, I'd like to get some mimosa pudica for the living room, and maybe a fern or something. XD

If you need jade plants let me know. Mine drops leaves that grow very, very readily.

For the thread, I have peppers, cacti, and a bromeliad.

If you need jade plants let me know. Mine drops leaves that grow very, very readily.

For the thread, I have peppers, cacti, and a bromeliad.

I can second that for jade, I trimmed two smaller side branches and have put them to root and am thinking of topping the whole thing to have a shorter, fuller plant

Thanks to both of you, but mine is plenty big (nearly 4 feet across), so I have plenty of opportunities to take pieces of it. ;)

I have a few bonsai , a Jasmine, several Passiflora, several Epiphyllum types, citrus, succulents, and a few subtropical marginal plants to winter over in addition to the orchids and cps. But really most of my cps stay out for the winter.

PS: And some Tillandsia too, but they stay inside year round.

Last edited:
Hey zatg i have M. Pudica seeds if youd like some they grow pretty good from seed and even their little baby leaves close and open :)

I have a huge collection of cacti and succulents and some other random plants around i like having plants around :)

I wish. I have a few cats that I swear are herbivores. Anything in the plant kingdom that comes in the door and is left out is quickly eaten and promptly vomited up on the carpet by the cats. I'd have a lot of indoor plants if I could

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are just too many interesting plants in the world. They've utterly consumed my life, but I can't resent them because they're just too darn cool!

Well, I just killed yet another Cacao so maybe I'm giving up on those now, but the cinnamon seems to be liking life. Others include actually a small 'collection' of variegated or variegated-looking plants including the monstera deliciosa, vanilla, rubber tree, some variegated phal mutt (although the chids and the variegated Nep alata are part of the greater chid and nep collection), alocasia amazonica, and a watermelon peperomia. A nice looking fern to shade the orchids and a couple bromeliads too, because they've got nice striping, a croton that I thought was a bell but maybe it was just pretending (*sigh*), some edibles for fun this year, and some stinging nettle just cuz :lol:. I kinda miss having begonias and wandering jew (is it still called that? is society too PC for that now?) but I've got too much as it is.

Why can't I just have liked a few lithops?

I pared down the houseplant collection a lot in the last year or so (and still more to go). Aside from carnivores, I have a couple lithops, a jade tree (hobbit jade) a random spathiphyllum, some ferns, and a handful of Hoyas and epiphyllums, though the latter struggle in my care. That's about it. Some sad orchids I'm trying to foist upon my brother. A passiflora alata that currently is outside.

I think at this point my "houseplants" are a collection in and of themselves, so they probably don't count, but among others: several Aristolochia species, a handful of Passiflora, Hoya carnosa, a mystery legume from Florida, red Zygocactus, barrel cactus, organ pipe cactus, Saguaro, Stapelia gigantea, Casimiroa edulis, Manilkara zapota, a handful of Amorphophallus, Typhonium venosum, Pinellia pedatisecta, Scorpion peppers, spider plants, and probably a few other things thrown in that I'm forgetting. Many of these are featured in my Aroids, Hoya and Other Oddities thread elsewhere on the forum.

Oh, and a mystery bamboo, can't forget that one.

I wish. I have a few cats that I swear are herbivores. Anything in the plant kingdom that comes in the door and is left out is quickly eaten and promptly vomited up on the carpet by the cats. I'd have a lot of indoor plants if I could

This why all my plants are protected from the cats. Captain probably would leave the plants alone, except for knocking them over chasing a bug. But, even my Texas ebony in full spike is not safe from Morgan.

I have hot pepper plants :)

-Carolina reaper
-Red bhut jolokia
-Peach bhut jolokia
-P-38(my own hybrid)

My girlfriend grow a couple euphorbia species also :)

My climate permits me to grow most succulents outside, in the ground, year-round. I didn't even know Crassula ovata was considered a houseplant, it's always used as a landscape plant around here. :p Plants that outgrow their space go into the yard. Several plants are doing really well since then, including Cordyline fruticosa, Yucca gigantea, Pachypodium lamerei, and several Euphorbia and Dracaena species.

Besides some aroids, Tillandsia, and orchids that I grow with the Nepenthes collection, I have a bad habit of starting tropical fruit trees from seed. I have Annona cherimoya, Coffea arabica, Dimocarpus longan, Mangifera indica, Nephelium lappaceum, and Persea americana. I'm also waiting on a handful of Garcinia mangostana seeds, but I'm not sure they're viable.

Other than carnivorous plants I have cacti, succulents, a few small to medium size orchids, plus a few odd plants including Tillandsia. I have little space remaining for keeping plants in the house during the winter. I started collecting plants I can permanently plant outdoors in USDA zone 5. Most of those aren't succulents, cacti, or orchids but I'm looking for succulents, cacti, or orchids I can keep outside. I'm looking for plants other than Sempervivum, Sedum, and the local Opuntia. I have a few cacti and succulents I plan to plant in a spot next to the house foundation before Fall starts.

This why all my plants are protected from the cats. Captain probably would leave the plants alone, except for knocking them over chasing a bug. But, even my Texas ebony in full spike is not safe from Morgan.

I have outdoor cats. For some reason rarely one will try to nibble on a spiny cactus but usually they don't bother my plants. They seem more interested in nibbling on the grass weeds in the lawn and the catnip. However, incidents of nibbling increase when they see me giving extra attention to a plant. I have a giant Miscanthus grass that one cat likes to approach as if he's interested in nibbling but at the last second he changes his mind. I'm guessing he's put off by the size of the grass leaves. My cats like Teucrium marum, too.

Last edited:
I don't consider most of the other stuff houseplants. Just other things that I find interesting and grow. Tillandsia, a few different cacti/succulents, lithops, a Hoya, a couple Staghorn Ferns, and some other stuff. Then there are terrarium and aquatic plants, the aquatics especially are a whole different story.

I've got a bunch of plants I'd consider "houseplants" although I don't believe most of them to be found in as many houses as would a spider plant or philodendron haha. Some of my favorites are:
-Bougainvillea - beautiful plant that I'm trying to shape into a bonsai tree.
-Golden Shrimp Plant a.k.a. Lollipop Plant
-Assorted Tillandsia
-Crown of Thorns
-Lemon Tree (grown indoors for the winter)
-Several varieties of orchids
-Hoya
-Other varieties of ubiquitous houseplants including prayer plant, pothos, etc.

I'd like to get more into bonsai.

How many plants of a type does one have to have to be considered a "collection"? By some accounts I have multiple collections: orchid, cacti/succulents, cp's, bromeliads, Hoya .... ;) My tastes are quite eclectic. Rather unfortunate in a way, as I keep finding plants I want.

Back