Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibberellic Acid Amounts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gibberellic Acid Amounts?

I have been having trouble getting a form of Drosera burmannii to germinate. I was told to use gibberellic acid on some seeds. I was told to make solution in this amount (100mg of GA with 400mL of H2O). Does that sound good? Does anyone have experience in germinating seed with GA? I would like to hear of your experiences.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A common concentration for seed germination is 250 ppm, with an eight to twelve hour soak, prior to planting. Overuse of GA3 will largely have the opposite effect and have an inhibitory effect on seed. The mix ratio that you mentioned is already at the preferred concentration . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 09-04-2015 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Typing with ***king predictive text . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a Google search (or your favorite search engine) on "norman c. deno seed germination" and download his papers on "Seed Germination Theory and Practice". Plenty of information on GA3 treatment and concentrations in there.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A common concentration for seed germination is 250 ppm, with an eight to twelve hour soak, prior to planting. Overuse of GA3 will largely have the opposite effect and have an inhibitory effect on seed. The mix ratio that you mentioned is already at that concentration . . .
    Worthwhile note on calculating concentrations that most people don't know:

PPM = mg/L

So your 100mg/0.4L = 250PPM, as correctly noted above. This'll be useful to know if you want to scale up/down.

Feel free to contact me if you need a hand weighing out any of those quantities as I have access to balances. We could either do mail (GA3 is not regulated as hazardous by DOT), or in person if you ever find yourself down in Champaign-Urbana.
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive used GA3 many times with great success and have traded it with many members here as bigbella said 250ppm is usually a good starting point and usually in my experience anything over that for CPs seeds especially ones like nep's that dont have a hard shell coating run the risk off harming the seed (anything over 900ppm runs the risk of destroying the seeds). Usually in my experience 150-200ppm is good for many types of seeds and i usually go up 50ppm till i reach a desired strength of GA3 for whatever I'm using them for. I do a 24 hour soak for most hard shelled seeds and a 8 to 12 hour soak for softer shelled seeds. Since GA3 is non solvable u must mix ot with running alcohal yo break it down before mixing it with the called for amount of water. On my GA3 chart its usually around 2 1/2 cups of water for 250ppm GA3 (dissolved in drips of rubbing alcohal veggie water is mixed) to create a soak solution. Goodluck

Here is my chart:
     photo 20150903_012527-1.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input everyone! Hopefully it will help me obtain this stubborn form on D. burmannii among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    Worthwhile note on calculating concentrations that most people don't know:

PPM = mg/L

So your 100mg/0.4L = 250PPM, as correctly noted above. This'll be useful to know if you want to scale up/down.

Feel free to contact me if you need a hand weighing out any of those quantities as I have access to balances. We could either do mail (GA3 is not regulated as hazardous by DOT), or in person if you ever find yourself down in Champaign-Urbana.
    Thanks for offering, I will let you know if I run into trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, what do I do once I am ready to sow? Do I just dump the seeds and the liquid onto the media? Is there a good method for removing such tiny seeds from the solution?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U can strain the seeds through a coffee filter remove all water from the seeds then sow directly into the media. Don't pour the water in the media remove the seeds from it then sow immediately! Goodluck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast