Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Here, Be Dragons!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here, Be Dragons!

Among other things, I am an artist, and in addition to the carnivorous plant sketches (in a separate thread here), this is my other main focus: dragons! Many of them are based off images I have found, but a handful are more or less my own creation or rendition.
    I'll post one at a time, every day that I can. What do you think?
    This first one was without any picture reference, my own rendition of a well known dragon species.
    Alagaesian Dragon by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like the Dragon from the hobbit movie really nice work hun

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite. Smaug had no front legs, or feathers. That was based off the dragons of Eragon.

Another feathered species.
    Ampithere by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amphithere? I'm pretty dragon obsessed, too. On that note, I just finished one of a pair of dragon tattoos.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that shows u how good i am at dragons lol
    I just thought the head kinda looked like him but then again what do i kno lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice drawings!

Ramon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look good, but remember that Paolini's dragons did not have feathers. Saphira had beautiful deep sapphire-blue scales that were well polished, as you'll remember from the books, but nothing was ever said of feathers. You are basing that dragon off the movie, though, I believe. Just wanted to throw out a reminder that in the original works, the dragons did not have feathers.

And Smaug was NOT black, KATastrophe. In the original works, he was red-golden. "There he lay, a vast, red-golden dragon, fast asleep; A thrumming came from his jaws and nostrils, and wisps of smoke, but his fires were low in slumber." ~ Chapter XII of The Hobbit. As you can see, this is stated explicitly, but Peter Jackson apparently decided red wasn't "evil" enough for Smaug.

Hawken, you are a good artist. The books of Tolkein and Paolini are my favorite fantasy works, and so I have read them in great depth and it hurts my head to see things that are described one way to be rendered another way in a movie. That's the only reason I'm correcting this.
    Last edited by katya_dog1; 09-04-2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never read the books; note I did not specify which "Eragon." I've only ever seen the movie, and like that dragon a lot. And I am a major HTTYD fan, despite the fact that the books are an entirely different story from the movie (I like the latter better anyway, but I've read all the books so far), so why people get so mad about movies being different from books doesn't ring with me; I take both as separate tales, always.

Anyway, back to the point, the next dragon: another done without an image reference, my own rendering
    Asiatic Lung Dragon by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Also, a bonus sketch. This is the only one I've ever done involving an animal with fur, that actually turned out, and as a bonus it was with color! Those of you who have seen the Croods, he's based off the Macawnivore, but with slightly different proportions.
    Feren by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Growlist

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast