What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Books?

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other books to help out with growing carnivorous Plants. I already have the Savage Garden by Peter D' Amato.

If anyone has suggestions or a list I would love to hear them.

The only titles that I would wholly recommend are Insect Eaters by Adrian Slack, effectively a 2006 reprint and very minor revision of his out-of-print classic Insect Eating Plants and How To Grow Them from 1986, which covers everything from the choices of pots to the planning of elaborate bog gardens; that, and Carnivorous Plants of The World by James and Patricia Pietropaolo, also with highly-detalied and unusual cultivation practices, with which I had been unfamiliar . . .

Insect Eaters: How to Grow and Feed Extraordinary Plants: Adrian Slack: 9781899296309: Amazon.com: Books

Carnivorous Plants of the World: James Pietropaolo, Patricia Pietropaolo: 9780881923568: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:
Carnivorous plants and there habitats volume 1 and 2, lost worlds of the Guiana highlands by Stewart McPherson, I own all three of these titles and worth every penny. Also you can check out Redfern Natural History Books, Photos & Expeditions for a wealth of cp related books written by Stewart McPherson and a couple of other writers, a must for any cp enthusiast. Hope this helps.
Regards

Mark

Last edited:
Carnivorous plants and there habitats volume 1 and 2, lost worlds of the Guiana highlands by Stewart McPherson, I own all three of these titles and worth every penny. Also you can check out Redfern Natural History Books, Photos & Expeditions for a wealth of cp related books written by Stewart McPherson and a couple of other writers, a must for any cp enthusiast. Hope this helps.
Regards

Mark

I too like Lost Worlds of the Guiana Highlands, truly the least masturbatory of those interminable Redfern vanity press releases (I am still awaiting the Guidebook to the Guidebooks series and the Florida county-specific three £30 volumes on Sarracenia); but none of those titles offer scheiß in terms of actual cultivation, which is what she requested . . .

Last edited:
but habitat information goes a long way, and I believe Redfern and Stewart are doing a great job!

Mark

I think your being very harsh bigbella, I do understand big words and if I don't I can Google them, may I ask how many of Stewart's books have you read to form such a negative opinion on his work and to make such blanket statements?

Mark

Last edited:
Whoa now guys, lets not start a fight here.

I think your being very harsh bigbella, I do understand big words and if I don't I can Google them, may I ask how many of Stewart's books have you read to form such a negative opinion on his work and to make such blanket statements?

Mark

It is not a blanket statement at all. The books are what they are: colorful travelogue -- pretty pictures, to be sure -- with little to none in terms of cultivation instruction. I don't think that they were ever intended as anything else.

I obviously read the aforementioned Lost Worlds; Miraculum Naturae: Venus's Flytrap, Tim Bailey's effort from 2008, which saw little improvement with the addition of McPherson's name and its cynical repackaging as Dionaea four years later with a concurrent doubling of price; Sarraceniaceae of South America, which was readable, in no small part to Andreas Wistuba and Joachim Nerz's considerable efforts; Pitcher Plants of the Americas, before it was then repackaged and steroid-fed into two massive volumes; Pitcher Plants of the Old World, both volumes. I already had Allen Lowrie's Australian books from the 1980s before they miraculously became some Magnum Opus under the Redfern flag . . .

Last edited:
Agreed.
I love the Nepenthes books Stewart has created, but the one thing they are NOT are cultivation guides. They aren't intended to be, after all. You're expected to look elsewhere for that info. Stewart is an explorer, not a horticulturist.

Your completely missing what I'm saying, my first statement said that there was a lot of good habitat info in in Carnivorous plants and there habitats which is important to help grow different species. I never said any were cultivation books. Look your intitled to your opinion bigBella but you seem to have a problem, and you don't need to be rude about it, yes Stewart has had help with some of the titles but he clearly states that in all books and gives credit to all the people that helped him. Oh and bigBella how many times have you edited your first post, you keep adding and subtracting parts every time I reply to you?

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, I don't see anyone being rude. You gave a suggestion, and others said they didn't think it was a good suggestion for some reasons, and now you've said they are because they have habitat information... So from all that, the OP can decide if they want to but these books or not. From there lets move on if anyone else has other suggestions.
Thanks,
Andrew

Edit: And side note, BigBella edited his first reply to you a few times, but none really changed the point of his post. ???

Last edited:
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other books to help out with growing carnivorous Plants. I already have the Savage Garden by Peter D' Amato.

If anyone has suggestions or a list I would love to hear them.

May I suggest my book? It's been getting pretty good reviews on Amazon, and a lot of growers seem to like it. I'm happy to sign copies as well.

Id like one but i really gatta get some cash together..ahrg!

I had two books written by barry rice one was a kids book and was very well written for younger kids and youth and they both were good books but im sure their are other great resources out their by other people aswell but all the books i had were ruined from water and damage so im kinda at a loss to what the titles were.

I would suggest my book "Growing Carnivorous Plants in the Tropics" if you have lowland species you want to grow or if you have tropical weather or live in Florida or Texas. Cheers!

My favorite CP book is "Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada" second edition by Donald E. Schnell. Its a little older so could be more up to date with the various recent name changes in the sarrs, and I wish it had a bit more detailed info on cultivation, but otherwise the book is really super.

any other suggestions? Or are the two enough?

Back