Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plant tracking program

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old fashioned pen and paper for me. I have a nice notebook that I track everything in. I don't keep as much information as you though. I would think that you could probably use excel for that though. You can manipulate excel a lot if you know how.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once upon a time I used CP Growlist as well, and then fell back upon just tags when the data entry became tedious.

However, as a suggestion, you could try Scrivener. Even though it's primarily a word-processor software, it has a lot of functions related to keeping resource materials and notes close at hand to streamline the writing process. Each "project" creates it's own folder, and with the software open, you can add subfolders, notes, hyperlinks to both web pages and hard-drive files, and even imbed photos. I could see how you could easily create a CP database from it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tap Forms db: https://www.tapforms.com/

Database can be exported as CSV files, etc, so its not locked in to the TapForms utility. I will no longer use a utility that locks you in to a proprietary file/data format, since we've learned how poorly most of these fare when it comes to long term preservation of data. If the utility cannot export to something like a CSV file, its not going to find its way into my toolkit.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 09-21-2015 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Excoriation across the nation! And Dance!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a different note, has anyone upgraded to Win 10, and had some slowdown issues, the blue swirly circle thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some time ago I created an MS Access database to track my collection. You're welcome to use the template (i.e., the structure minus my data) if an Access solution interests you, or just for getting ideas on structure.
    Last edited by mikulas; 09-21-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given my occasionally antagonistic relationship with electronics (the weasels at the local Apple Store were impressed that I managed to destroy two Powerbook hard drives, in short order), I have maintained physical notebooks for years; though have scanned them from time to time, to insure against loss . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a record in Word of every new plant I get, the sender and the date. I will at some point get round to moving it into Excel but this one's easier for me to update to the forum I use all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep track of everything too, including germ/dates fert/schedules etc. I use ms OneNote now. It makes a backup ever time you close it, and syncs that backup to all devices with your ms account.
    Experience is a great teacher, but she sure does cost a lot!!! --Butch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast