Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plant tracking program

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plant tracking program

For a very long time I kept track of all my plants (who I got it from, date, re-potting, etc.) in a program called CP-GrowList, which I liked.
    I decided to update my computer to Windows 10. Well you guessed it, Windows 10 broke the CP-GrowList program.
    So What I'm wondering is what are most people doing to keep track of your plants?

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tags in pots

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the developer changed the program to track animals.

CritterWare

All you have to do really is add the CP families in as groups (e.g. Nepenthaceae) and away you go. Whether or not the datafiles are compatible I couldn't tell you never having used it.

AFAIK CPGrowlist used the .Net framework so it should work. Have you tried the compatibility modes?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a notebook..lol im not very tech savy

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    It looks like the developer changed the program to track animals.

CritterWare

All you have to do really is add the CP families in as groups (e.g. Nepenthaceae) and away you go. Whether or not the datafiles are compatible I couldn't tell you never having used it.

AFAIK CPGrowlist used the .Net framework so it should work. Have you tried the compatibility modes?
    I did try the compatibility modes, Still didn't start.
    I thought about checking out the CritterWare program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    Tags in pots
    That does not help with all the info I keep for my plants. Different notes on how plants grew in different media, who I got it from, when, last time re-potted and what soil mix, etc, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Excel.
    I've used Excel for single straight rows. How would it work if I wanted to keep every entry of when I re-potted the plant? I don't think I can explain what I mean properly.... not sure excell would make the cell the way I'd want. I may have to play around with it to see if I can get it to do what I want.
    Last edited by elgecko; 09-20-2015 at 09:20 PM.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the amount of data you intend to keep on your plants I would recommend creating your own database. The first one that comes to my mind is Microsoft Access; but not many people have it because you usually have to buy the more expensive version of MS Office in order to get it. I have heard great reviews about Firebird, which is a completely free open-source database program. Firebird: About Firebird

I'm no database expert; but with a little bit of "training" from google & youtube you can probably develop the structure of what you want quickly; and add to it as you go. Each plant can be assigned a "unique ID number" for easy retrieval. Upon clicking on a plant you can create a seemingly infinite number of categories such as information as it relates to media, repotting, fertilizing/feeding dates, trades, growing conditions, etc.

Whichever you decide to do, good luck!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The StockMan / Critterware runs under Win10. You might need to run CPGrowlist as an Administrator - right click on shortcut - run as administrator. I find a few of my older programs need to run as Administrator. You can set this in the properties too.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast