Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Mmmhmm (EBay)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given how rare and critically endangered many of these plants are it is our duty to preserve them in cultivation. So I think it is in fact a good thing to have some information about who your selling to, not necessarily that they be an expert but that they truly love and will care for their plants as best they can. However, this is ultimately the sellers responsibility and we don't have any authority to say or do otherwise.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos1996 View Post
    I think it is in fact a good thing to have some information about who your selling to, not necessarily that they be an expert but that they truly love and will care for their plants as best they can. However, this is ultimately the sellers responsibility and we don't have any authority to say or do otherwise.
    Vetting your buyers is wishing for the impossible. The only "responsibility" is that of the buyer, in that he/she should recognize the serious nature of what they are taking on if they purchase an endangered species, and be truly, fully committed to growing (and distributing whenever possible) that plant for the foreseeable future. How many people in the CP community have planned accordingly and have sufficient follow-through to make that commitment, do you suppose? I'd wager the number is small. You would find out by polling the community to see how many people still have the rare and treasured plants they bought ten years ago. Maybe 5 years would be sufficiently telling!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the bottom line is if you're selling it on Ebay you clearly have no interest in "preserving" the well being of that plant. Ebay is a place to get quick cash, not a place to sell to reputable growers. If you were interested in keeping a plant alive you might as well not even sell it at all, instead give it to a trusted grower, that is a much better way to go about that.

If you're trying to run a business rather than preserving a plant, then selectively selling to only people who are reputable growers is a bad bad business plan. Hence why anybody who is actually selling a plant likely will not do this.. Because they want money. Not the plant.

Attempting to force the preservation ideal on someone who is here to make a living off of selling CPs is silly.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    Attempting to force the preservation ideal on someone who is here to make a living off of selling CPs is silly.
    Well said.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    I think the bottom line is if you're selling it on Ebay you clearly have no interest in "preserving" the well being of that plant. Ebay is a place to get quick cash, not a place to sell to reputable growers. If you were interested in keeping a plant alive you might as well not even sell it at all, instead give it to a trusted grower, that is a much better way to go about that.
    Congratulations on your sanctimony and the luxury of living in an economic vacuum where the very narrow margins of commercial nurseries and the realities of running micropropation laboratories don't affect you, or your free opinions on a hobbyist's forum; and that you are fully capable of employing people and timely paying your creditors, based upon your lofty conservational ideals . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that a person spending big bucks on living plants would know at least a little bit on how to care for them.

I mean, come on, not everyone has $300 laying around to spend on thing that can perish, like for example, buying $300 live beetle without knowing how to care for it.

And again, prices are high could mean good thing, separating those who actually has a means and equipment of caring for them compared to those who just have enough for the rare plants without adequate living conditions for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just gonna bow out now since those commenting on this post don't appear able or willing to have a civil discussion.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanas View Post
    You seem to make an argument and then drop it completely for another when I shut it down.
    If you could read I clearly state that while the prices are ridiculous on eBay, I have a problem with the fact that anyone can purchase a live rare plant.

If you could read (again) I also state that the beetle sold on eBay was a dead insect with no further value in the breeding hobby.
    Having a problem with anyone being able to buy a rare plant is bewildering to me. How should such plants be allocated if not by fair trade? And more importantly, who should do the allocating?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast