Likes Likes:  2
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Mmmhmm (EBay)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Having a problem with anyone being able to buy a rare plant is bewildering to me. How should such plants be allocated if not by fair trade? And more importantly, who should do the allocating?
    The allocating should be done by the seller to a grower which he deems reputable. I never stated no one should purchase rare plants- You're trying to turn my negative comment into a negative extreme.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanas View Post
    The allocating should be done by the seller to a grower which he deems reputable. I never stated no one should purchase rare plants- You're trying to turn my negative comment into a negative extreme.
    Oh my. Seriously?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conservation is the foundation to a stable hobby. It appears quite a few of you have lost your way…

And Whimgrinder, I did win it:
    sing x rhh
    Last edited by Satanas; 10-20-2015 at 06:43 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The allocating should be done by the seller to a grower which he deems reputable. I never stated no one should purchase rare plants-
    LOL ebay is CERTAINLY NOT the place to do this!

And just because you Own the plant itself does NOT mean you are conserving its species.
    If you were truly for conservation, you would be breeding these plants and shipping yourself and those seeds off to Malaysia.
    Maybe even sending them to seed banks. Either way, just owning one doesnt make you a conservationist. I need to see plans
    of natural distribution before you even bring that phrase up again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you stated that anyone selling rare plants should think the same way you do.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    LOL ebay is CERTAINLY NOT the place to do this!

And just because you Own the plant itself does NOT mean you are conserving its species.
    If you were truly for conservation, you would be breeding these plants and shipping yourself and those seeds off to Malaysia.
    Maybe even sending them to seed banks. Either way, just owning one doesnt make you a conservationist. I need to see plans
    of natural distribution before you even bring that phrase up again.
    I do agree that while sending seeds back to the natural habitat or banks is the most optimal option. However, wouldn't you rather see an alive plant in good conditions over a poor one because it was sold over eBay?

SubRosa: you argue in circles with yourself
    Last edited by Satanas; 10-20-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    No, you stated that anyone selling rare plants should think the same way you do.
    Thats what I keep hearing as well.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, wouldn't you rather see an alive plant in good conditions over a poor one because it was sold over eBay
    I dont understand the correlation between the two.

Either way, there are collectors and then there are conservationists.
    The difference between the two is defined by those who are trying to amass a plethora of amazingSpecimens,
    and those who are trying to preserve the specimen's line for the future. Not just for themselves.

All im saying is that if you actually want your plants to a good home, ebay probably wont be
    The best bet. You dont even know who youre selling to.

Sure, your plants may get lucky and go to someone who actually deserves them and is capable
    Of growing them healthy and happy, but the other 90% of the time, it goes somewhere far away
    Never to be heard from again. And lets just say most novice growers will throw absurd amounts of money
    At rare plants in particular, just to get a shot at growing them.
    Last edited by NemJones; 10-20-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast