User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 102

Thread: Mmmhmm (EBay)

  1. #17
    BS Bulldozer SubRosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To address point #2, you're dead wrong. If anyone can earn the kind of money to be able to pay outrageous prices, you'd have nothing to complain about, provided that you're somebody.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

  2. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you say: I don't know their name, their actual ebay username, or their forum username. I do not know who they are.

    And say: The fact that someone with an unknown grower reputation can just go in and immediately buy plants like these is ludicrous…

    Just wondering because if you don't know who they are or anything about them how would you kno their reputation for being able to care for the plants their buying. Cause this person could be a highly knowledgeable grower on this forum we all talk to and know and get along with and praise for their growing skills..which would be really crazy to jump to the conclusion that the person buying/bidding on these plants arent able to care for them and is just getting them cause they are rare.

    Im not trying to be rude I'm just wondering how u got the idea that they have no growing/grower reputation to grow these plants...but you don't know who this actual person is?

  3. #19
    ps3isawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bay Area, CA, USDA 9B
    Posts
    688
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  4. #20
    BS Bulldozer SubRosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KATastrophe View Post
    How do you say: I don't know their name, their actual ebay username, or their forum username. I do not know who they are.

    And say: The fact that someone with an unknown grower reputation can just go in and immediately buy plants like these is ludicrous…

    Just wondering because if you don't know who they are or anything about them how would you kno their reputation for being able to care for the plants their buying. Cause this person could be a highly knowledgeable grower on this forum we all talk to and know and get along with and praise for their growing skills..which would be really crazy to jump to the conclusion that the person buying/bidding on these plants arent able to care for them and is just getting them cause they are rare.

    Im not trying to be rude I'm just wondering how u got the idea that they have no growing/grower reputation to grow these plants...but you don't know who this actual person is?
    I would ask why does one's rep as a grower matter more than one's shoe size in this particular situation?
    Last edited by SubRosa; 10-07-2015 at 12:19 PM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

  5. #21
    I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Zone 5
    Posts
    830
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I would ask why does one's rep as a grower matter more than one's shoe size in this particular situation?
    Because OP and kat are implying that if you have no rep/skill as a grower you shouldnt buy plants.

    Anyways, For all you know these people may be buying the plants just to kill them!
    who are you to tell these people what to do with their money??-?
    Last edited by NemJones; 10-07-2015 at 01:05 PM.

  6. #22
    dynastes67 Satanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    Because OP and kat are implying that if you have no rep/skill as a grower you shouldnt buy plants.

    Anyways, For all you know these people may be buying the plants just to kill them!
    who are you to tell these people what to do with their money??-?
    I'm not telling anybody what to do with their money, however if you sold a rare plant you had been keeping for many years would you want it to go to a good or bad grower?

  7. #23
    dynastes67 Satanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all of you asking how I can judge them based not he fact that I know nothing about them..I am not. lol! I am clearly stating that one of the biggest flaws with ebay is that anyone can buy your rare plant. The buyer could be the most renowned grower, or someone with absolutely no experience-I have no idea!

    I'm frustrated because renowned growers don't sell their plants on a more niche website than ebay, this would therefore limit buyers to people who have some growing experience.

    As for why people bid before the last day-minute, I have no idea. Do you think you're staking your land or something? haha cause you're just making it worse for yourself in terms of cost… the only reason auctions stay up for prolonged periods of time is so people can see them before they end.
    Last edited by Satanas; 10-07-2015 at 01:10 PM.

  8. #24
    Whimgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanas View Post
    For all of you asking how I can judge them based not he fact that I know nothing about them..I am not.
    You're not judging/questioning the growing skills of the alleged buyer?! What does this mean, then?:

    Quote Originally Posted by Satanas View Post
    "The fact that someone with an unknown grower reputation can just go in and immediately buy plants like these is ludicrous… Thats why forums like this exist, so you can get the plant you want to sell to a known grower for a reasonable price."
    In this context, "a known grower" would indicate that you are judging the skill set of the grower bidding on the plant, and questioning their worthiness to own such a regal offering! You are expecting the merchant to make that same judgement! That's not how business works.

    Interpretation: "Vendors should sell their plants to me, here on the forums, for a reasonable price, not on some blankedy-blank auction site where people with more money than me can buy them!"
    What makes you think the buyer(s) who bid outrageous sums on Nepenthes offered on fleabay aren't members of the forum communities? I would say that the bidders are almost guaranteed to be members of this community. So, how would listing rare/valuable plants here help weed out less skilled/less deserving growers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Satanas View Post
    I'm frustrated because renowned growers don't sell their plants on a more niche website than ebay, this would therefore limit buyers to people who have some growing experience.
    Interpretation: "I'm sore because the merchant has chosen to list the plants on an auction site that assures them of getting the best possible price for extremely rare offerings - and I can't afford to compete with growers who have deeper pockets than me!"

    Its worth noting that there is an error in this logic if you think the merchant is going to sell only to the most skilled growers if he were to list the plant(s) on Terraforums, for example. Because the fact is that TF is often the first community/forum novice growers join when taking their first steps in this hobby. It doesn't take a whole lot of close examination to realize there are many new growers participating in the TF community, and it is here that they learn and acquire horticulture skills. So - if anything - a vendor listing expensive/rare/valuable plants here would in fact be less likely to get those plants into the hands of the more skilled growers.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 10-07-2015 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typos!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •